Instead of the term "false hope"...

Can we please use a more accurate term, like "false certainty"?

'cause that's really what it is we're talking about here.

Think about it. Hope is nothing more than wanting a specific event to occur. It can be unrealistic hope, or it can be realistic, depending on what it is based upon, the factors driving the hope, and of course the state of mind of the one whom is hopeful... but in of itself, it can be neither true, or false, it just is.

Certainty, on the other hand, is something that can be true or false - being certain that something will be true based on false information, or just nothing at all for example... or being certain something will happen from facts, or information told to you by others, gathered on your own, etc.

I know I'm a bit of a stickler, but it does annoy me that hope is the target when hope in of itself is not the problem - in my opinion of course - it's being certain of X, Y, Z happening, or being so hopeful you project your desire into said false certainties.

singme2sleep

I read recently in a self help book that the term "false hope" is inaccurate because hope cannot be false. Kinda like with opinions, they're never technically wrong because they're your opinion not fact.

ThatJustHappened
Can we please use a more accurate term, like "false certainty"?

'cause that's really what it is we're talking about here.

Think about it. Hope is nothing more than wanting a specific event to occur. It can be unrealistic hope, or it can be realistic, depending on what it is based upon, the factors driving the hope, and of course the state of mind of the one whom is hopeful... but in of itself, it can be neither true, or false, it just is.

Certainty, on the other hand, is something that can be true or false - being certain that something will be true based on false information, or just nothing at all for example... or being certain something will happen from facts, or information told to you by others, gathered on your own, etc.

I know I'm a bit of a stickler, but it does annoy me that hope is the target when hope in of itself is not the problem - in my opinion of course - it's being certain of X, Y, Z happening, or being so hopeful you project your desire into said false certainties.

But when you're hoping for something that is impossible, or even just extremely unlikely, then you're hindering your healing process. I like the term false hope better because it (hopefully) gives the poster a more realistic view of their situation.

I can hope to be able to jump off my roof and fly, but that doesn't make it possible. My hopes are unfounded..they are actually a negative thing because they're making me yearn for something that will never happen.

You don't have to say it, but I'm going to continue on.

• Like 1