Sucks sucks sucks

creighton0123

So, breakup was only 8 hours ago... and I'm facing a pretty major life decision.

My apartment is huge. It was great for two people, but way too much space for one person. It is also *our* apartment (ex and I got this place together).

I have a decision to make. I need to decide tomorrow whether I am going to move into a smaller place in the city-center for June 1, extend the lease to Sept 1, or resign for another year.

If I don't make the decision tomorrow, I must stay until Sept 1 with no option to resign for a year.

I'm torn. Stay in an apartment for the summer or for another year and hope that, despite the size of it (and having one room completely empty), I can make it "my apartment" instead of "our apartment" or take the risk and hope I can find a smaller place to move to within my price range...

This sucks that I have to make this decision tomorrow.

If it were me, I would opt to move to another, smaller place......away from the memories of the relationship.

If you're determined to find a place, I'm sure you can make it happen.

• Like 1

Unless you LOVE the existing apartment, I would move.

You should be able to find something really good and smaller in your price range, right? If you could afford a bigger-than-you-need place, then surely a smaller place would be a financial plus.

You can make a new place all your own, and you won't have billions of memories (good and bad) flooding back every time you do anything in your current apartment. (although if you DO love living there, don't let this sway you. Eventually, after a fair amount of time, those memories will be replaced with new ones not about your ex.)

• Like 1
CautionaryTale

I agree with the above, if you really love that place then keep it! Memories will eventually fade and as Stevie has said, be replaced with new ones.

However, the financial gains by moving to a smaller place would probably sway me, also being downtown could make for a good time too.

I loved downtown Boston, of course it's been 10 years since I've been...

I'm really impressed with how well you seem to be handling this. Kudos to you, I would be a mess. It sucks to be nailed with having to make a life changing decision the day after, good luck!

No matter which way you go, nothing has to be permanent and a home is what you make it!

• Author
creighton0123

Heh. Zero financial gains for moving to a smaller place. In fact, if I did, I would pay a touch more but be in an incredibly central location: close to work, close to fun with much more social options available.

I think I'm going to go for it. No adventure without a little risk, right?

I think it may provide some comfort to live so close to the “action” of the city. You don’t have anyone living WITH you to cramp your style, but you’ve got stuff, stores, cafes, and general alive people wandering around close by (I assume this is what your city is like, lol).

Also, the excitement of the new, besides providing more of a fresh start, will be a distraction. Looking for a new place, moving in, settling in, different and convenient and exciting surroundings.

• Author
creighton0123
I think it may provide some comfort to live so close to the “action” of the city. You don’t have anyone living WITH you to cramp your style, but you’ve got stuff, stores, cafes, and general alive people wandering around close by (I assume this is what your city is like, lol).

Also, the excitement of the new, besides providing more of a fresh start, will be a distraction. Looking for a new place, moving in, settling in, different and convenient and exciting surroundings.

Correct. Boston is very much a pedestrian town. Plus it'll put me within 20 minutes of my office as opposed to 1 hour, allowing for more flexibility. I am going to go for it. In the meantime, I'm going to bed after rearranging the furniture in the living room from how he wanted it to how I want it. Next step is to deal with getting his stuff out of the apartment, which I asked that he do soon and while I'm not there.

You are really taking action here! It’s excellent. I applaud you. Boston is a great place I’ve heard. And a 20 minute commute to work as opposed to an hour? Sounds like a better quality of life.