FWB - Break up

It all started when I met this guy through my mutual friends we got on really well and there was an instant attraction. We started seeing each other as girlfriend and boyfriend however, he broke that relationship up as he was going to go abroad and he said that long distance relationships never work... for quite a while after we broke up in the meantime until he went abroad I used to still see him occasionally as we used to go out with our mutual friends.

I couldn't deny it but I still had feelings for him and he would approach me and kiss me so we used to end up hanging out together at the end of it.

Gradually our friends never met up so much or if they were he wasn't up for going out therefore we carried on hooking up and agreed on having a casual relationship.

Its weird but I felt like we had become closer and more like friends.

However, he went abroad to see him family for Christmas, I kept in touch and we were talking so much over the weeks that he was there (moreso than all his best friends). He even said that when he was gonna be back in the UK that we would meet up.

I remember telling him how I wanted to spend NYE with him - but he was spending it abroad so I decided to spend it with my girlfriends.

Then suddenly out of the blue due to a family bereavement he came back to the UK with his family and asked me about NYE I told him that I already had plans.

I'm not sure what was going through his mind but when I was in contact with him not long after NYE the e-mails were blunt and short.

I would IM asking how he was and then drop in about meeting up and he would reply saying "Do you really want to talk about this now?" It really shocked me a few days ago it was wanting to meet up then this blunt rude attitude came from him. He then persisted well we need to talk but it wasn't long before he was flying off abroad again so I told him I didn't want to talk as I felt that it would of been nicer if it was left alone as he was leaving to go abroad soon (surely that could of been the end of it).

So I left it for a while and didn't contact him and he didn't contact me to talk as I had a feeling he was instigating a break up. Until I IM'ed him to ask what he wanted to talk about.

He wanted to talk about us and I said but we are in a casual relationship (I didn't say it too much but I didn't feel that a casual relationship requires a break up - specially not if the other person is in a different country!)

So he basically said that he used to consider my feelings when he was in the company of other girls but he said he's done with that now. He said I'm seeing other people now I want you to know that. He continued to say he doesn't want anything not even a casual relationship with me. Its over.

So I left it I felt slightly hurt that he had 2 weeks in the UK and didn't attempt to meet me or talk with me face to face and instead did it over Facebook however, I felt that his whole manner towards me has changed like he hates me and wishes to hurt me as much as possible. I left his message - I felt that no response is better than any response that I had drafted up (and would of regretted sending to him).

Later on in the day to my surprise he sent me another Facebook message after declaring it was over saying "So no response i'm going to assume you didn't take that in the best way that I had intended"

How... how am I meant to take what he said in a good way?!