Do other people hearts actually hurt physically when emotionally hurt?

When I went through a breakup, a typical GIGS on her part, my heart actually hurt me, like I would have to sit down and hold my chest. I am a 25 year old man, with a resting heart rate of 60, eat healthy, and can run a fast mile, or many miles without tiring, nor do i have a preexisting condition.

So I was wondering, does this happen to many men, or women too?

I just went through a recent breakup (not even a week yet) and I feel this way too. I just take deep breaths and try to relax. I think it's caused by stress or anxiety, at least for me.

• Author

I still have them and know I need to relax. I was wondering if its a common thing, and I wonder about the mechanism for why that happens. Yeah im funny like that.

I felt that with my breakup before.

It hurt so bad that i literally had to google the same question.

The feeling of your heart so tight, constricting, heavy and crushing is the worse feeling ever! It's like having a thousand tiny knives *stab my heart repeatedly. I was so scared i might have a heart attack at a young age.*

My head and heart seemed to be in full force together and torturing me over and over. I was so tired but i can't sleep. Felt so helpless, anxious and panicky. Headache, nausea, insomnia, loss of appetite and constant crying took its toll on my body. I lost 10lbs.

Just thinking about it right now makes me feel uneasy. I am just glad i passed that stage and is back in a much better state.

• 2 weeks later...
Hurt Irish guy

yes bud it is 100% real, just had a 5.5 year relations ship ripped out from under my feet in the most horrible circumstances and since last Wednesday i have felt like i have been having a constant heart attack!!!! my whole inner body is in convulsions and my hands are rattling like i am going cold turkey from drugs!!!! and in some sense i am going cold turkey from the one i love!!!

Yes, I get palpitations, intermittent chest pain and sometimes it feels like my heart just drops, usually accompanied by a thought of him.

The thing about heartbreak is it comes from within. You can hide it pretty well, if need be...walk around outside and no one would ever have guessed your heartbroken. We walked this battle, are injured and battered, and all we have to show for it is a broken heart that makes us worry. I wish they had some crisp uniform to wear embroidered with how many times we have endured such heavy pain.

It's almost like a war. Love is a war. And all we get from it is palpitations, chest pain, and that feeling that your world just dropped beneath you. Was it worth the fight?

Why do you think it's called a heartbreak ;)

you seem to be sporty. Did you ever get your heart checked? It does happen that an emotional event triggers heart failure in people with a heart condition...

Still, don't worry about the pain, here's one that didn't die from it :-) You'll be back to running that fast mile with a new woman waiting for you at the finish line in due time.

Until then, hang in there, it will get better!

Yes it can happen, like Hurt Irish Guy said, it can be more than just chest pain. Anxiety attacks, even low level ones, can mimic the symptoms of angina. I know because it took a ride in the ambulance and 6 hrs in the ER to learn that lesson. It sounds like you are under a good bit of stress and anxiety, which also can raise blood pressure, and you could be feeling it. Remember to take care of yourself physically as well as emotionally. You might try to relieve your stress by a low level work out, or some stretching and a long brisk walk? I meditate and practice yoga, which has made a big difference in my stress level. If this persists, certainly consider a check-up. Take care.