Browsing around the internet and..

Hindsight_is_20_20

Hindsight_is_20_20

I stumbled across the dialogue between the two main characters in the movie "Swingers". I had forgotten about this part of the movie, but reading it now (in "hindsight"), I can totally relate. Hopefully you can too:

Okay, so what if I don't want to give up on her? -You don't call.

You said I don't call if I wanted to give up on her. - Right.

So I don't call either way. - Right.

So what's the difference? - There is no difference right now. See, Mike, the only difference between giving up and not giving up...is if you take her back when she wants to come back. But you can't do anything to make her want to come back. In fact, you can only do stuff to make her not want to come back.

So the only difference is if I forget about her or just pretend to forget about her.- Right.

Well, that sucks. -Yeah, it sucks.

So it's like a retroactive decision then? I mean, I could, like, forget about her. And then when she comes back, make like I just pretended to forget about her?--Right, although probably more likely the opposite.

What do you mean?--I mean, at first you're gonna pretend to forget about her.Not call her, I don't know, whatever. But then, eventually, you really will forget about her.

Well, unless she comes back first. - Mm, see, that's the thing. Somehow they know not to come back until you really forget.

There's the rub. - There's the rub.

• Like 4

Absolutely love that movie! Although I love the OP quote...the convo below is really awesome. Anyone that is going through the rough part of their breakup....PLEASE go watch this movie for a laugh..its a great movie

TRENT-That's just plain silly. Your self- esteem is just low because she's with someone else. But thinking about it and talking about it all the time is bad. It's no good, man. You gotta get out there. The ladies want to love you, baby.

MIKE I just need some time...

TRENT Why? So you can beat yourself up? Sitting around in that stuffy apartment. It's just plain bad for you, man. It's depressing. You've come so far. Remember the first week? After she told you? You couldn't even eat.

MIKE Don't remind me.

TRENT You just sat around drinking orange juice. Now look at you. Look how far you've come in just a few months. You got that part in that movie...

MIKE ... a day...

TRENT ... Whatever. It's work. You're doing what you love. What's she doing?

MIKE Selling scrap metal.

TRENT (smiles) See? And what does this guy she's with do?

MIKE He drives a carriage.

TRENT What?!?

MIKE (smiling) I hear he drives a carriage around Central Park or something.

TRENT Please. And you're sweating him? You're "all that" and you're sweating some lawn jockey?

MIKE I hear she's getting real fat.

TRENT Baby, she's the one who should be thinking about you. Sounds to me like you cut loose some dead weight. Trust me, Mikey, you're better off.

Edited by Reegs
  • Like 3
  • Author
Hindsight_is_20_20

I was feeling down today (I'm 3 months post BU/No contact) and for some reason reading that dialogue exchange gave me a little more strength. The day I can completely see the humor in all of this is the day I am striving for!!