Girlfriend (20) wants to break up with me (22) after small fight turns nuclear.

multiplescoregasms

multiplescoregasms

We were having an argument. It was stupid really, we're both designers. I was commissioned to do a piece which they wanted a male eye for. I'm not too bothered about going into design I'm on a med degree, she really wanted to do the piece so I just told the editors that she could do it. But ultimately they wanted to say they had a male design piece.

So this massive fight happens, she says I shouldn't do the piece out of principal, I tell her that I want to and it'll look good on my CV if I bail out of my med degree and that she should be more pragmatic.

She keeps going at me and I'm just feeling really hurt so I tell her the real reason she didn't get it (which is true) is becaasue the last piece she did for the magazine was a bit rushed and they were a bit insulted.

So this is it for her, I've made her feel insecure about the thing she wants to go into and it's the most malicious thing I could have said to her.

I know I ****ed up and shouldn't have used that information just in a fight to hurt her but I can't believe that if she really cared (we've only been dating 5 months), that this could be it for her. She's said she doesn't want to see me again.

What do I do? How can I show her that I only ever want the best for her?

My girlfriend thinks I'm a malicious f***

"She keeps going at me and I'm just feeling really hurt so I tell her the real reason she didn't get it (which is true) is becaasue the last piece she did for the magazine was a bit rushed and they were a bit insulted"

how do you know it's true?

were you told?

if yes, then who by?

tbh, I think you were just assuming that it's true and thus you were fightiing dirty

• Author
multiplescoregasms

the editor told me. It is true.

It is true, that's not really the point, the point is I shouldn't have made her feel insecure about something so important to her.

I don't think you are malicious, she is clearly hurt but might be too young at the age of 20 to deal with rejection (by her editors).

She sounds very emotional and that's completely normal at her age. The trouble is though it's hard to communicate rationally with someone as emotional as her.

the editor told me. It is true.

It is true, that's not really the point, the point is I shouldn't have made her feel insecure about something so important to her.

It's good for her to hear about this and her editors should have been honest with her then but then I struggled with feedback like that at her age too. It's hard to just 'suck it up' and get on with it.

Neither of you is at fault really

• Author
multiplescoregasms

I'm not being oversensitive am I?

This is a bit of an overreaction right? Breaking up with me and telling me I've done something unforgivable?