harsh reality sets in

Hi all.

Sorry that my first post here is a tale of woe :(

I split up with my girlfriend, with whom I had been living for over six years, around eight months ago. Throughout this time I've been in a weird kind of twilight zone, confused as to whether I wanted to get back with her or move forward.

We broke up because we had just drifted apart and were pretty-much leading seperate lives.

Last night I went to her place as we are still very good friends and enjoy each other's company. Anyway, she let me know that she has started seeing somebody else. Part of me suspected that this would hapen sooner or later and I was half-preparred for it, but another part of me still loves her very deeply.

Anyway, I took it very badly and became a bit of a mess. All I can think about is how I might have patched things up and how great our time together was. I didn't realise how deep my feelings for her went and it's torture to think of her with somebody else, and to finally try and let go of all the love I feel for her.

She was very sympathetic and even cried with me for a while, but it seems that now there is no going back. I'm forced to try and move forward, even though no woman I've met in the past eight months has appealed to me to anything like the same extent.

I just feel that I've made a huge mistake in not making more of an effort with the relationship and the eight months we have spent apart have only proved to me how much I love this woman.

I know I need to move on, but how can I when I still have these feelings and can't stop thinking about how good things were and how things might have been if I had just made more of an effort?

I've felt sick and on the verge of tears ever since last night.

Help!

overseas2004

It may just be the fact that she is no longer available to you that is killing you. These are feelings that sometimes just can't be separated from one another. If you really loved her that much then why did you not try to patch it up earlier? Its a good question you need to ask yourself now.

Why did it take an expected event to trigger this response?

And more importantly what were the reasons you broke up in the first place? where they substantive?

Jealousy has a way of masking itself as love. If you really loved her, I think you would've come to the conclusion that you wanted her back into your life before 8 moths had passed.

You could tell her how you feel.....but wait until you've had a chance to really think it through.

• Author

I think you are right overseas.

It's felt for the past eight months like I had a choice, as though I could go back at any time.

Now that she's with somebody else that choice has gone and I am left powerless to do anything about it.

I expected this to happen, but part of me was hoping that it never would. I guess I just wasn't listening to the part of me that was grounded in reality. I've been living in a double world, becuase I've been unable to to accept what has happened.

Arabess, many times I've felt like asking her to take me back, but I always stopped myself.

I guess I need to ask myself why.

Thanks for your wise words, both of you...

I'm feeling a little bit better now.