how do you break up with someone you still love?

I know I need to break up with my boyfriend, but I still want to be with him because I love him. I just know things will never work out between him and I. We just see things to differently. How do I do this, because thinking of being without him makes me sad, but thinking of being with him makes me sad. I just don't know how to handle this situation. Any advice?

You break up with someone you love and care about the very same way you would someone who you no longer have feelings for.

You sit them down, tell them the reasons why you have made this decision.

Give them a nice hug, maybe a parting kiss....tell them to take care of themselves and stay in touch once in awhile.

Walk away.

:)

Why do you need to break up? What do you see differently? Have you tried talking to him about your problems?

You don't always have to agree 100% with everything your SO believes.

Originally posted by UCFKevin

You don't always have to agree 100% with everything your SO believes.

This is true; in fact, that would annoy/bore the crap out of me.

Exactly.

To be honest, in my last relationship, when my ex would go along with everything I said, it would be pretty damn annoying.

Well, not EVERYTHING...

• Author

Well if something is bothering me that he did, he acts as if I caused it. He says I'm used to getting everything I want so when I don't get it I act like a brat. In general he just makes me feel like I'm always wrong. We just had a tough weekend and I knew I had to talk to him but I was scared. I thought he would make me feel like it was my fault and it would just make me feel worse. To some extent I think he is an emotional abuser. It's not really that I don't know how to break up with him. Its just the pain I'll experience afterward, because I still love him and want to be with him. Its a hard situation to be in.

If you are sure the relationship is not able to be salvaged then it's much better to get it over with. It will be painful whenever you do it - but you said it - you are unhappy with him and will be unhappy without him. If you act sooner that's a whole lot of unhappiness you are saving yourself. The unhappy after bit will pass. You deserve happiness - start seeking it.

im replying because i feel like you do...I love my bf yet i would feel sad with him and without him..its weird...and i wanna break up cos hes too mellow and doesnt know if he loves me..so thats harsh! im still trying to figure out what to do and i came up with one thing....with him im sad/happy....but more sad at times, without him im sad alot but maybe one day ill be happy without him..when i learn to love myself..and get over him...

so i dunno what to do either..its tough!!!

but imma try slowly to walk away...:(

• 6 months later...

Hello,

I am in a relationship of 6 years. The guy that I'm with is very controlling and cheating at the same time. I found out about him being with someone else from his friend. I also have proof from the cell phone bill. I love him but I can't go on like this. Any suggestions?

its so hard to breakup with someone you love.

I know ive had such a hard time doing so, i love my bf, and we have had many mini breakups, and no matter what i always tend to go back to him, i wanna be strong and move on because i know we are two complete opposties and we always argue but when it comes down to it, i feel like i cant!

Ive tried talking to him , in hope that maybe he will change and things can work out but for some reason it just doesnt work out and we just argue too much, its really frustrating cuz i love him alot..and sometimes i just feel stuck and like ill never get out!

Its weird....

I think that we just have to really put that love aside and move on, even tho its easier said then done...

but then again if we keep remianing with them we will always keep feeling this way..and it will eat us out alive..ahhh

its scary!!

Lord help us!

• 1 year later...

i had the same problem. last night i broke up with my boyfriend of two and a half years. i still love him and it hurts, but it also hurt too much to be with him because we had both changed too much. i know it was the right thing to do because even though i still feel awful, i do feel better and i know i made the right decision. you just need to get everything off of your chest to him, and hopefully he will understand.