Trying to shake the feeling

Hey LSers! So it's been 2 weeks since I made a fool of myself by texting my ex and he never responded. I've maintained 100% NC since then and I've been feeling better than ever. I still think about him all the time and have down moments especially when I hear something about him but the pain only lasts for a little while. I've realized that NC really is the only way for me to heal and move on. I'm obviously upset that he hasn't reached out but I guess hes made it very clear he doesn't care if he never speaks to me again. I'm kind of upset tonight though. My sister is younger than me (19) and has been dating her boyfriend for only 8 months but they've been talking about marriage and she found a ring hidden in his room. It was only a year ago that my ex and I were talking about marriage and I found out he bought me a ring but he never proposed and after we broke up he just abandoned me. The toughest part for me is knowing that at one point he wanted to marry me and I don't understand what changed. I know my sister is about to get engaged but I can't help but feel a bit envious of her as she is so young and hasn't put nearly as much time or effort into her relationship as I did with my ex. Is this completely awful of me? I'm happy for her but I've been at such a low point for the last 5 months and this is just the icing on top of the cake. I always thought since I was the oldest Id be the first to get engaged and married. Right now I just feel like il never meet anyone who I'm as compatible with or love as much as my ex and Im just so hopeless. Can anyone offer any advice to help me shake this feeling?

Snakechammah

We should never compare our lives with others. Everyone is on a different path. When one door closes, another one opens. Your ex leaving you paves way for a better guy to enter your life. Always be thankful for opportunities.

What makes you so sure that your sister and her boyfriend will last forever? We hope the best but nothing in life is a guarantee. We'll never know what their future is. So don't be envious. Just be thankful for your family's love and everything else that you are blessed with.

Be happy with your situation. Single and ready to mingle. The world is your oyster - seize it and make the best of it. Go out, party, meet new people, do the things that you've always wanted to do, have fun... and if you meet someone special along the way, voila! Share that happy life with him.

You don't need a man to validate your life. You create your own happiness. Love yourself and others will follow.

Good luck!

hey red rose :)

yeah agree with the above poster.

to be honest i was with a girl for 4 years from when i was 18, and we talked about all that stuff. but now looking back 4 years on, i am so so so glad i didn't stick with her and we didn't work out.

i am still only young mid twenties and my recent break up has made me realise there is more to life and no one is truly ready to settle so young.

id be worried about your sister if anything as so many relationships that are that serious at a young age wear off.

single and mingle.

• Author

Thank you both for your replies! It's definitely helped me to feel a lot better :) Hopefully in a few years I'll look back on this break up and be so thankful that it happened. Funny thing is I dated a guy for only about 3 months and he broke up with me a couple of years ago and I was really upset about it. Now years later I'm obviously completely over him but noticed I had a new follower on Twitter a few days ago and it was him. He's gained so much weight and doesn't even look like himself. It didn't hurt me or bring up bad memories to see him, honestly I just laughed and thought to myself "Thank God I'm not still with him"! I can't wait to have that feeling about my latest ex :)