Broke up, got back together, he doesn't love me.. Broke up again

We broke up in October because he didn't want a relationship. We got back together in December, him promising that wasn't going to happen again.

Well Valentines day he had work and didn't bother making plans with me,
so
I went to a movie with my guy friend who was ditched by his girlfriend an had an extra ticket.
So
I went, and didn't tell my boyfriend until the next day. He flipped out.

We agreed to talk in person the next day, and when I went over to his apartment it went bad. He said he was only "pissed" at me that I went out with another guy, NOT "hurt" or "jealous" and he had a talk with his stepmom saying that I wasn't the girl he wanted to be with in the long run. He didn't see me as the girl he wanted to spend the rest of his life with. He's 20, I'
m
So
he broke up with me. He asked if I loved him, and I reluctantly said yes, and he said he doesn't love me, although he does care for me, just not as his girlfriend. I asked if he would come back for a third time, and he said "I don't know." I asked if he would be okay if he never heard from me again, and he said, "I don't know."

We only had an hour to talk because he had work, but he said we would talk later. This happened yesterday and I haven't heard from him yet.

I'
m
so
hurt right now. I want things back to where they were. I want him to love me.

not trying to sound like a jerk here but i'm genuinely confused. you say you want him to love you but you also stated that when he asked you if you loved him you "reluctantly" said "yes"?

can you explain more about what you're feeling? do you love him? or are you just not sure if you do? or is it that you've gotten so used to having him as a part of your life that makes you sad about the breakup?

at any rate it sounds like you both need some time apart to figure out what you want.

• Author

It was only reluctant because even though we've been dating on and off for a year, we had never said we loved each other. Earlier in our relationship he said, "I think I'm falling in love with you" but other than that we didn't say it.

And I really do love him. And I'm well aware that there are only two ways out of this, either we work things out, or I move on. I just wish I had a little more insight as to what was going through his head.