Depressing User Names (how to change them??)

Ok so a large number of the people posting here have chosen very negative user names no doubt because they felt extremely depressed when they first registered due to a sudden or painful break up. Me included.

My question is-

How can you change your username on this site?

I ask mainly because I've been "encouraged" to do so by a number of other LS members, but no one yet has offered instructions as to how I can fulfill their requests and alter my username?

I've looked on the "My Profile" page but couldn't find any option which allows you to change your username. Maybe I'm missing something? Then again, if its not possible maybe you can all just think of me as RL or change the pronunciation of my name so its like... Rooo-In-It Li-eeeeff or something as equality naff.

Also just wondered if there are any others out there with negative usernames who are now regretting their registration choices?

LittleTiger

You can't change your username so the best thing to do is re-register with a new name.

That's what I did. :)

• Author
You can't change your username so the best thing to do is re-register with a new name.

Can you use the same email if you re-register and create a new account?

LittleTiger

I think so. Unless you have been banned, I think you can have as many accounts as you want. If not, you can always create a new email account. I've got more than one email account anyway so I can't remember what I did.

As LittleTiger said, just re-register another account. Some people want to leave their old name behind and NOT be linked with it, so the "old" user just stops posting. Others want to change their name and make their "new" identity known (TrialByFire changing to ThreeByFate, for example) so they don't hide the change.

You could register a new name, and start a thread introducing your new identity and sharing why it was time for the change...

Alternately, a few posters have had their screen name changed on an existing account. You would have to petition the moderator for that, and I don't know what the conditions are for success, but it has been done. I don't get the impression that this is encouraged, but if you make your case...

LittleTiger

I tried asking for mine to be changed initially but I got no response and now there's only one part time moderator I doubt he will have the time or the inclination to change someone's name.

I did a post explaining my change of name - it was quite cathartic actually.

I used to be LonelyTiger - if you're interested in seeing how I did it. Just a post explaining the change and then LittleTiger was born. :)

I think this is a serious issue. People with depressing usernames, you depress the f*** out of us. Why would you do that to your fellows LoveShackers?

Ok, I'm not being serious. But really, I think you're doing yourselves such a great disservice.

Good for you! That must have been quite cathartic indeed :]