Getting Out of An Abusive Relationship

I want to hear stories of how others got out of an abusive relationship (physical/emotional/psychological abuse etc.). I'm in the middle of getting out of one by lying and sneaking my way out of the house we both live in. Every now and then I start to lose my nerve and I thought that maybe others have stories that could help inspire me and others.

Good for you! I'm only 21 and have never personally been in an abusive relationship but I grew up watching my mom go in and out of them. My dad's oldest sister was in a very abusive marriage before I was born. She was in the process of filing for divorce and she, along with their two kids, had moved out. Unfortunately, he convinced her to meet up with him for a talk. He murdered her in broad daylight! You mentioned you sometimes feel like you are losing your nerve. Don't! No woman, or man, deserves to ever be treated in that way! You deserve so much better than what he has been giving you! I know it's hard to see a relationship you put so much into just die especially when you care about the other person but I promise you he is never going to change! He will continue to hurt you and any other woman he becomes involved with. Stay strong and get out while you still can! I hope for the best for you! Good Luck on your new beginning!! :)

Are you in an abusive relationship? Are you living with him?

I'm a bit confused as you posted last month that you'd broken up with your boyfriend of 4 years, and that you were now free. And from your posting history, I gather that you were the one with anger issues with that guy - he was just annoying - and that relationship was not abusive.

If you ARE in an abusive relationship, and especially if it's only a couple of weeks old, I think you must just GET OUT without having to lie and sneak. This guy can't be too familiar with your patterns yet. And if your relationship has escalated to abuse after 2 or 3 weeks of dating, you better move FAST because it does sound like he could be a real loose cannon. Make sure a trusted friend or family member knows where you are all the time and don't be alone with the abuser. Have your person with you when you get your stuff out of the home, and don't ever go back.

Good luck.

depplover_1980
Are you in an abusive relationship? Are you living with him?

I'm a bit confused as you posted last month that you'd broken up with your boyfriend of 4 years, and that you were now free. And from your posting history, I gather that you were the one with anger issues with that guy - he was just annoying - and that relationship was not abusive.

If you ARE in an abusive relationship, and especially if it's only a couple of weeks old, I think you must just GET OUT without having to lie and sneak. This guy can't be too familiar with your patterns yet. And if your relationship has escalated to abuse after 2 or 3 weeks of dating, you better move FAST because it does sound like he could be a real loose cannon. Make sure a trusted friend or family member knows where you are all the time and don't be alone with the abuser. Have your person with you when you get your stuff out of the home, and don't ever go back.

Good luck.

This is great advice. There is a fantastic Stephen King novel called Rose Madder about a woman who escapes a lifetime of abuse - it really got to me in places.