Ex want to be friends..good idea or bad?

My ex keep asking if we can be friends..the whole friend thing make me worry...for the following reason.

1) Being friends is this, allow them to let go of you very gradually. Instead of losing you all at once, are they walking away... little by little

2) I’m just worry that by trying to play the role of the happy, platonic friend is going to end in heartache at best. And at worst? It'll explode into a jealous, messy disaster that could wind up hurting “us” or “me” worse than the breakup.

ps we been broken up for 4 month now..she cheated on me

This is my first break up and my ex broke up with me just over a week ago...and I can already tell you this that by not being friends makes you get over him quicker and the pain isn't as bad.

We talked every day after the break up...although the conversations were fun and good...I would start to cry sometimes. I would end it with "good night" and be sad because for 5 1/2 years every night he'd say "sweet dreams I love you..good night" and I couldn't get that anymore.

I cut contact on Sunday. Now I don't have to worry about his phone call if he'll call or not, look at his Facebook and see what he's doing with his life or who's flirting, etc. He was mad that I went NC. He told me the same thing as yours did...to gradually drift if that were to happen which WILL happen.

Why prolong the pain process of it slowly going away? It'd hurt even worse. If he were to find a gf or start dating then he'd not want to talk to you and you'd feel rejected ONCE MORE knowing he won't talk to you because he has a date or whatever.

I've ready so many advice online for the whole week...I do agree that it's best to not contact them or have them contact you because you have time to think about what happened and worry and focus on YOU. He won't have his comfort blanket and he'll find out what life is really like without you in it. Not have his cake and eat it too. Be friends when the pain is gone...not when you're still in love pining over them.