engaged for three years and don't know what to do...

Hey all, I'm new here and it's a long story so please bare with me. I'm 21 and have been in a serious relationship for 3 years. We got engaged very early in the relationship when things were new and exciting and seemed to be perfect. But now I'm having some trouble.

We moved in together about a year ago and for the first month things were ok. Then he lost his job, leaving me to work and pay all the bills. I was willing to do this for a while so that he could get back on his feet, but the trouble was, he never did. The six months that we were in the apartment, he remained jobless, relying on his parents to pay all of his bills (he's 23). Even worse, he developed a gambling problem and ended up gambling away our rent money most months. I think we slept in the same bed three times the whole time we lived together. This isn't new behaviour, he's had job trouble the whole time we've been together. In february we had to break our lease and I was laid off so I had to move back home with my parents. Ever since then it's been fight after fight after fight. I know niether one of us is perfect, but I thought we could work it out, maybe if i tried harder things would go back to being as great as they were in the first place. Things aren't all bad...trouble is they're not even 50% good. I really don't know what I should do. He's a great guy and I love him to death...but I don't think I can be in a relationship with him. This is my first serious relationship, and I really need some advice. Please help!

• 3 weeks later...

arggg.... obviously, most anyone would say.... "Run Forest, Run"

Sorry if he's having depression, you can mention that he might need to talk to his family doctor, and if he's willing and you really do love him, then maybe consider staying.