Broken up and still kissing...?

My boyfriend broke up with me because he said he had a major a-hole side to him...was bringing me down and hurting me constantly...couldn't handle worrying and feeling terrible all the time. Also, we are at two different highschools, so we don't get to see each other often, usually once a week. After this, we talked often online and he would often hint that he loved me still.

Later on, I saw him at a party and he was very nervous around me, and I was around him. At first we avoided each other, but things loosened up eventually. When he found out I was staying a little later at the host's house, he wanted to stay, too. He claimed it was so he could talk to to him, but I knew he just wanted to stay for me. Later on in the night, he decided he was going to leave and walked out...knowing me, I followed him and I know he knew I would, because he didn't even say goodbye. I told him he should stay and he said he only would if he could kiss me. So, he kissed me...

A week or so later, a bunch of friends and I went out, and he just happened to be in that bunch of friends. At first, like before, we avoided each other and said hello to everyone but each other...we barely even talked. By midnight, everyone had left but me, him, and two other friends, so he decided to leave and announced he was going to go to the bookstore across the street. I asked if he wanted me to go with him, and he said, "Yes. Please." I had heard he was interested in one girl so I asjed him about it, got frustrated, and went to look for books by ourselves for a few minutes. I bumped into him and he bumped into some friends of his. I quietly left because I was uncomfortable and he told me to stay. He talked with his friends for one minute and then ran back to me and told me to stay...it was clear that he didn't want to be with them at this time. Later we were talking and I asked about the other girl again. He said he was just on the rebound because he didn't want to have to be in pain about us breaking up and wanted to forget...and out of the blue he said, "Are you going to kiss me or not?" I asked why and he said it would make his day. So I did, and he pulled away quickly. Then I was leaving and he kissed me a few times and hugged me. As I was leaving he smiled at me and said, "I'll call you."

And he did call me a day later. After we talked he said he would call me the next day. "I really want to talk to you."

I don't understand any of this. This guy is liked by everyone, and any girl would love to have him. He tends to flirt a lot. Is he just leading me on or is there really something here? I am totally lost. Why can't we just be together if he loves me? It seems like he wants to have the benefits of a relationship without actually being in one.

Originally posted by ASDFJKL

was bringing me down and hurting me constantly...couldn't handle worrying and feeling terrible all the time.

It seems like he wants to have the benefits of a relationship without actually being in one.

I think you probably know that you've answered your own question. You probably wouldn't want to be in a relationship where you're hurting all the time. And he genuinely seems to be the type that wants the benefits of a relationship without having the committment of being in one. Cut this guy now, or you'll just be one of his girls.