Do people really do this?

I think I read a bit on this in the other threads, but do people purposelly actually "allow" a situation to unfurl so that their significant other feels he/she needs to sit them down and say "ok let's break up." ?

My younger brother just broke up with his girlfriend, well she called him and made the "let's break up" decision, but he wasn't really upset by the time it happened. He said he had been annoyed with her 200 questions a day about how honest he was being towards her so he said it was bound to happen anyway. I asked him why didn't he just call it off if he was so annoyed with her and they were fighting all the time..he shrugs and goes, 'I dunno...didn't really think about it. Anyway she broke it off. I don't feel that bad.' And he's totally fine! It's the girlfriend who is not fine with the fact that he's fine!

Anyway I myself prefer the direct honesty route but I guess people work in different ways. So do you know people who do this?

1. "...do people purposelly actually "allow" a situation to unfurl so that their significant other feels he/she needs to sit them down and say "ok let's break up." ?"

Absolutely, especially people who are immature, into the dramatic, don't have sufficient communication skills, or just have no nerve.

2. "Anyway I myself prefer the direct honesty route but I guess people work in different ways. So do you know people who do this?"

How people do what??? I'm glad you like to take the direct honesty route.

Shzzizzlrr

Some people, especially when they're young, enter relationships w/ out developing all the virtues of a true relationship, like communication, trust, understanding, and compromise. When these things are neglected, the relationship is obviously going nowhere and your brother only realized that after the fact. He's probably right, when he shrugged it off, for there's no use crying over spilled milk. Just be hopeful that you'll be able to develope a fruitful relationship and remember that you need to communicate.