I want to break up

Is breaking things off over the phone totally unacceptable?

I have been "dating" this guy since late last year. However, we only see each other every other weekend. He lives in another town. However, I think he views this relationship much more seriously than I do. I just came out of a 10-year marriage and was just looking to date. He has never been married and would like children, neither of which I am interested in providing for him as I am happy with my daughter. He believes I need more. He is a very nice man, but we have absolutely nothing in common.

In all honesty, if he did live in the same town or if we saw each other more often, I would take care of this in person. But I just don't see the benefit in his coming all this way to get dumped and I don't want to go thru another weekend of this.

Any advise. We are coming up on another weekend together.

blond_butterfly

I think you should just tell him how you feel if you are rally uncomfortable with him then doing it over the phone my be a good Idea otherwise it is totaly crule especialy if he likes you Alot! when you see him tell him everything on your mind if he doesn't get it tell him I need to see people who i can see more and I think you would be better with someone who can give you more than I can. If It doesn't work(letting him down gently) they just bluntly say I can't be with you anymore I am not getting what I want in this relationship! I hope I helped at least a little!

~*~Jessica

This is a horrible thing to do.

A guy I knew did it TWICE!

He emailed his girlfriend a letter that was intended for a girl he had cheated on her with. Girlfriend gets it. Gets pissed off breaks up with him. Now he's free like he wanted to be and he didn't have to do anything.

First time the guy did it, I thought it was a horrible horrible mistake, and I actually felt bad for him. Second time it happened I just couldn't believe it was on accident twice.

What are you talking about Gray? I am not cheating & I am not dating anyone else. I'm just wondering if this is somewhat of a distance relationship is it ok to tell him over the phone or should I wait till he makes an unnecessary trip here?

I was simply giving an example of how a guy I knew broke up with his girlfriend.

Use it or don't, I don't care.

I think you should let him come over.. if he really likes you a lot. I have the experience of being dumped by a guy over the phone. It was painful and hard to accept. Try to imagine this, after you hang up the phone, all you feel might be the freedom, but for him, it's the loss of his love. Maybe he wants to give it the last try and see if he can change your mind, but at least he can talk it out with you, face to face. It will be easier for him to give it up when he sees your reaction. It's not a waste of his energy or time. My opinion is, let him try, and if you are strong enough to insisit your decision when he is in front of you, he will let you go. Hope it will help.