Feeling guilt for feeling good

Like many here, I have run the gambit of emotions since the July breakup (LC to NC to LC to NC as of Oct 11th with one ignored text from her Oct 20th). Lost 22 lbs (some even from going to the gym), counted every dimple on my bedroom ceiling, and came just shy of having my sister (best friend) plunge a number 2 pencil in my neck if I mentioned her name one more time...

However, with some really bad days peppered in here and there, I have been feeling better about things lately... Stopped the FB stalking (way too much self inflicted pain), been slowly going out more, and I dont always have to 'remember' to eat...

The odd part is, and I have no idea why this is, that feeling better has me feeling guilty... Like Im now the one saying goodbye this time... Does this make sense to anyone or should I petition my doctor for some prozac?

Nikki Sahagin

I think this is healthy and natural.

Normally when an ex leaves us, we hang on, hoping that if we hang on, somehow the love isn't destroyed. But love can only survive if TWO people feel it and are dedicated to it. One person can harbour love all they want, but if the other party does not return it, its pointless. I think there is a degree of guilt about moving on (whether you are the dumped or the dumpee) because it feels like you are letting love go, BUT you are doing the right thing and you have no other option. Keep going. The guilt is just another passing emotion. Remember - the person that leaves you makes the decision for BOTH of you; one person should not hold onto something that their partner has already given away. You are doing just fine, keep going :)

• Author

Thanks Nikki...

The other odd thing, now that I no longer think of her 24x7, Ive had to concentrate on myself... Not always liking what I find... Im not certain regret has not been harder to deal with than the breakup itself...

Again, thanks for the reply...