He is trying to rekindle love... I am hoping it will not happen

We met last Sept when I started a new job. We became best of friends, working closely together, sharing trials and victories. It was an emotional bond, not physical. He is the most amazing human being – kind, generous to all, incredibly intelligent.

He was in a sexless and loveless marriage. Over the years, he felt frustrated, resentful and, finally, indifferent. Love has died. He described his marriage as empty and lonely. Like many, he stayed because she would be devastated by a divorce. They have no children.

In January, he asked his wife for a divorce. By then, we knew we had developed strong feelings for one another, and would like to explore a relationship together. I knew our emotional bond was very dear to him. He put my interests first, and always thought of my happiness.

His wife took it badly. Because he spoke so often of me, she named me as the 3rd party. He agreed to give her time to accept that love has died – at least for him. In July, he started pressing for a divorce again. During this time, we remained just friends. It was very hard.

All these came to a head when he discovered she might be planning to harm herself. He found knives in her bedroom. She made a will and a list detailing things like the preferred colour of her coffin.

It doesn’t matter what she was thinking because he believed she was capable of going through with it. During that time, he experienced very bad setbacks at work. Turning to God, he was convinced God was disciplining him for refusing to work on his marriage. He argued with God for weeks, but gave in. It was not easy – he used words like “trapped”, “resigned” and “I have no option”.

He asked me for support and understanding. The “deal” is that he will work on his marriage to the best of his ability, and leave the outcome to God. If love is rekindled, it’s God’s will. If the emptiness persists after he has done all he could, then all will know the marriage is not meant to be.

My head tells me this makes sense. He needs to know he has tried, or he will be carrying major baggage to his next relationship. She needs to know he has tried in order to accept the possibility that love is dead and they are not right for each other. Most importantly, his family will be able to see that I am not the cause of the marriage breakdown, and will find it easier to embrace me (if ever we get together).

But my heart misses him every day. We can’t talk now, and it hurts. I can’t imagine life without him. We connect on every level. He is The One.

Does anyone have any comments on how long it takes for love to be rekindled after it has died, if it is possible? Can true chemistry, intimacy and connection be created at will, after love is dead? Will he miss me? Will he forget me? When will we talk again? Will we ever talk again? How do I cope with this?

Why did you ever start something with a married man? And even if he 'started' it and all that, you still new he was married and you still let yourself and him take it from 'friends' to an emotional affair. Just because you did not have sex does mean you didn't have an affair, because you did. You helped someones husband cheat on her. Lets say you and your lover do end up together, and gosh if he doesn't get close with a female co worker who can give him the kind of ego strokes for his performance at work that you no longer can because you are his wife and it doesn't mean the same anymore. I really hope that new friend at work (you know, the chick you are right now) either doesn't initiate something or has the strength of character to say no.

I'm not saying that you don't really love this MM and that you don't really think he loves you, but have you ever stopped to think about the moral implications and how this reflects on both you and your lover's character?

Also, since he has ran back for ever cry for attention from his spouse and she is clearly nutty enough to do some pretty out there things to get his attention, I would prepare myself for him never leaving her fully because she is too fragile for whatever reason. Do you want to be second best, second most important? You know you deserve better than that

If I were you I would either rekindle a passion for an old or start up a brand new hobby, working out is good, put more effort at work in to a project that doesn't involve your lover, oh or even better, clean up your resume and find a new job, maybe you will meet a nice single co worker there.

Sorry if I sound mean at all... I have yet to progress past my husband cheating on me enough to eliminate the 'bitterness' from my tone.. I really do mean everything in a 'thinking to help you' way, just some of it is a tad sarcastic :o