Everyone struggling with NC read this scene from a movie

Mike: Okay, so what if I don't want to give up on her?

Rob: You don't call.

Mike: But you said I don't call if I wanted to give up on her.

Rob: Right.

Mike: So I don't call either way?

Mike: So what's the difference?

Rob: There is no difference right now. See, Mike, the only difference between giving up and not giving up is if you take her back when she wants to come back. But you can't do anything to make her want to come back. In fact, you can only do stuff to make her not want to come back.

Mike: So the only difference is if I forget about her or just pretend to forget about her?

Mike: Well that sucks.

Rob: Yeah, it sucks.

Mike: So it's just like a retroactive decision, then? I mean I could, like, forget about her and then when she comes back make like I just pretended to forget about her?

Rob: Right. Although probably more likely the opposite.

Mike: What do you mean?

Rob: I mean at first you're going to pretend to forget about her, you'll not call her, I don't know, whatever... but then eventually, you really will forget about her.

Mike: Well what if she comes back first?

Rob: Mmmm... see, that's the thing, is somehow they know not to come back until you really forget.

Mike: There's the rub.

Rob: There's the rub.

• Like 1
  • Author
God damn.... i dont want to stop contacting her.... but.... tonight.... i'll stop. Im making a decision.

We are all here for you!

againstallodds

It's true, one of my ex called me three years later after she is married and have kid and told me she regretted giving us a chance. In my case, I'll never go back with her.

It's true, one of my ex called me three years later after she is married and have kid and told me she regretted giving us a chance. In my case, I'll never go back with her.

Regretted giving you a chance?

ive heard 'swingers' mentioned a lot here

ive never seen it, you guys recommend it ya?

ha where im from its prob. opening as a 'new release' in the local "cinema"

• Author

It is a great and funny movie.. Sad for me though because my boyfriend loved it and he is the one that made me watch it.

Ugh.. I just realized I said boyfriend... I don't think I can get used saying ex.

californiadreaming

I have seen bits and pieces but I just watched the whole movie on youtube right now, and it really made me smile, and laugh.

As much as I miss my ex and want to be with her the movie gives you hope that even if you don't get back with your ex, you will find someone else. I guess still at this point I am not ready for that, I really want to be with my ex.

The movie is a classic though, I am going to buy it. One of those ones I would love to watch once my heart break heals.

I was thinking that now that I have been through this I kinda feel like an expert at it... this whole heartbreak thing.

Ugh.. I just realized I said boyfriend... I don't think I can get used saying ex.

it takes time alright... dont worry i feel the same

ive found 'problem' is helping make the transition from boyfriend to ex

as in "uggh i wish id never met problem" ha ha

i dont wanna be using ***** / ****** etc etc

wash me mouth out with soap!!

ok thanks everyone, im gonna watch it in the v near future

Swingers got me through my break up at first. I watched that movie every day for 2 months. It's true, follow that sound advice of Rob.

againstallodds

I recommend "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" and "The long weekend"

None of these movies tell you to get back with the ex. So I guess get back with the ex is never a good idea.