Should I break the silence?

So, he broke up with me about two weeks ago, but when we were sitting there, holding each other, talking it over he went out of his way to say that he still thinks I am a great person. That he would hate for us not to email or see each other anymore just because things had changed. Specifically, that he didn't want to lose me as a friend. He wanted to be part of my life but differently, and he wanted us to be able to come to each other for help and advice as we always had done.

He said all this, but since then I have heard NOTHING from him. I'd really like to email him and (since I now have LS, where I can vent all of my hurt feelings and anger lol), I reckon I could even trust myself to contact him without sounding like some crazed ex. Despite the pain of the breakup, if it can't be any other way I would hate to lose him as a friend - we know each other so well and now that the pressure of having to keep up the whole boyfriend act is off him, surely that could be the recipe for an amazing friendship.

Perhaps he just doesn't understand that of course I won't email him first, for reasons that to me are obvious (I don't want to appear like I'm obssessing about him or trying to get us back together). We're not supposed to be going N/C but it feels like we are and this makes me feel lonely, as if I've lost one of my best friends as well as my boyfriend.

The question is: Do I contact him? Or should I wait it out until he gets back to me? Surely losing touch with someone is no way for things to stay easy between us. We are part of the same big group of friends and it feels totally unnatural that I know more about what's happened in some of their lives over the past week than in his.

Tell us about your relationship contact patterns with your other male friends with whom you've had no romantic relationship....

Over time, if it's meant to be, your pattern with your X will evolve to this. Is that what you want?

I've tried this but it hasn't worked for me. Hopefully, you'll do better...