Claiming back your life

Here's a change of pace for us all. Let's claim our life back. I'm so sick and tired of feeling depressed over these memories and the things that remind me of him. So, I'm claiming these things back. Feel free to join in!

I'm claiming back:

LAW AND ORDER. We may have watched it together, but I love that show. I'm going to watch it again, even if your not next to me.

JAMES BLUNT and MAROON 5: Just because we loved them and went to Maroon 5's concert, doesn't mean I have to stop listening to them. They are mine.

MY BED. It was mine before you were here and it's all mine again.

MY HOUSE. Just because you no longer live here doesn't mean it's an empty house. My house is still filled with love, even tho your not in it.

TETRIS. I walked by the stupid little tetris game and couldn't even look at it w/o remembering our battle for top score. Well, guess what, I'm going to play it again cause it was fun.

SUSHI. I love sushi with or without you, it's mine. Your not taking that from me either.

BASEBALL. Ok, you turned me on to baseball, but I really like it now. So, I'm going to keep liking it....so take that. hahaha

I want to take back our favorite restaurant, but I know he still goes there, so FINE...he can have that one. I don't need it.

and "How I Met Your Mother", that was OUR show, and I'll just watch the other episodes WITHOUT you.

and vegetables pies I used to bake mainly for you, I'll continue making them, just not for you now.

and the color orange you used to wear so much at the end (for those of you wondering, there is a very reasonable explanation...). It is just a color like any other now.

and that special corner on the couch you used to curl up in, a cup of tea in one hand, I'm claiming it now.

and your car you used to let me drive... well I guess that doesn't fit in this list actually :rolleyes: I'll just have to find someone else's car to borrow!

and so much more... soon I'll even share it again, just not with YOU. Because you are not worth it, and I deserve so much BETTER.

• Author

I love it Belkin, especially the car part!

I claim back CHECKING MY EMAILS. I'm no longer going to wonder and secretly hope you sent me a mess. I'm checking it for myself now. I claim back my PHONE RINGING. I'm not wondering if it's you calling. I'm checking it cause it rang, thats all.

ha ha ha sveltskye!! as a friend of mine said about her ex, "the next time i date someone who thinks he's trent reznor, he'd better damn well be trent reznor."

the things i reclaim:

banjo music!! i loved it before he came along, dammit!

old devil moon. just because we met there doesn't mean i can't still go there to eat the southern fried tofu.

flounders. don't ask.

the leftover blue alpaca out of which i made his bass-playin' gloves. i can still knit myself something out of it, dammit!

catholic hoodoo candles, particularly black jesus.

the journal he wrote in on the 10th page. i really like that journal and i want to finish it.

bessie smith. paul simon. even though we made out to them, i can still love their music.

the michael haneke film "the piano teacher."

roll-your-own cigarettes.

the super 8 camera he gave me, because it's an awesome camera, by god. it's the only thing i kept. i am allowed to shoot film with it.

vintage plaid suit jackets. i was wearing vintage clothes while he was still in elementary school.

his university. it is not where he went to school, it's where my first play was produced. i was artist-in-residence when he was still an undergrad.

really strong coffee. just because the first words out of his mouth when he opened his eyes were, "coffee coffee coffee," and we bonded over being coffee snobs, this does not mean i have to think of him every time i have a double cappucino.

the phrase "are we there yet?" this was the second thing he said after waking up. the third thing he said was, "did we win?" i take back finding this charming.

'65 mustangs. just because it was his first car too doesn't mean i can't remember it fondly as mine. i do not have to get all wistful and think of him every time i see one on the street. i can still run over and lick it just like i did in the olden days.

Edited by sedgwick

I'm claiming back:

(1) the Tv remote - no more football!

(2) The spare room - this was his 'playroom' - as soon as he gets all his stuff out (I have piled everything that belonged to him in there), I'm redecorating and turning it into my dressing room

Issues & tissues

I'm claiming back all that "quality me time" which you insisted I gave up and spend on you. Well, you know what...I can take all the time in the world looking after "me, myself and I" now. :)

I am claiming myself back!! My heart, my mind and my freedom! I was a wonderful woman before you came into my life and I will eventually be an even better woman without you!

and that chocolate bread that you receive each morning for breakfast, and that I guarded from the hungry assaults of the other students of the floor? Well now I'm the first one to eat it when I see it on the common table! ha! small revenge, granted, but half the pleasure of eating it is knowing it's yours :D

I'm claiming back the expensive clothes you bought me and I couldn't bear to wear. They are just clothes, but they are MY clothes and damn it I look good in them, but now I look good for someone else! (Good thing about break ups is you lose weight, not that I was chubby anyway LOL!)

Brilliant thread!

Oh yeah, you can bloody well keep 'Sex and the City', 'Cold feet' and any rubbish that has members of the public singing, dancing or falling over on ice!

this is a fantastic and therapeutic thread so lets keep it coming, LSers!

I am claiming back the times spent waiting for your phone calls during the days and at nights (and even when you do call eventually, you know you feel that it's a bloody chore). I will not do that anymore- people who are interested in me will call me and we will have fun on the phone.

I am claiming back shopping and buying new clothes to wear in a bid to impress you (you never compliment me anymore). i now shop for myself! and look sexy for myself.

I am claiming back my independence and since independence is sexy, i will be SEXY and INDEPENDENT OF YOU. take that!!!!!

Issues & tissues

I'm claiming back all those tears I shed when you made me unhappy. I will bottle them up and keep them for when I learn to laugh again.

82knightrider

movie theater,video games,happy hour at dave and busters,and MY favorite park to play basketball at:laugh:

You wanted me to make more money at my job, but rode my ass every time I tried to squeeze some extra work in at night.

Ef that - I am going to kick ass at my new project and make the extra cash for myself!

I'm claiming my life back - the one I had before I met him.

The one filled with my ridiculously brilliant, talented, kind, and interesting friends.

The one where I cranked my stereo any time *I* wanted, any music I wanted, just because I felt like dancing.

The one where I didn't feel the need to "dumb down" my end of the conversation because I didn't want to come across as too nerdy/bookwormish.

The one where I could talk about things outside of interests HE instilled in me, and feel satisfied.

The one where I can try out anything I like - an off-beat movie, a funky gallery, or a new-to-me-cuisine - without being worried about whether or not someone else will hate it & be pouty.

BTW - this IS a great thread!

I'm claiming my life back - the one I had before I met him.

The one filled with my ridiculously brilliant, talented, kind, and interesting friends.

The one where I cranked my stereo any time *I* wanted, any music I wanted, just because I felt like dancing.

The one where I didn't feel the need to "dumb down" my end of the conversation because I didn't want to come across as too nerdy/bookwormish.

The one where I could talk about things outside of interests HE instilled in me, and feel satisfied.

The one where I can try out anything I like - an off-beat movie, a funky gallery, or a new-to-me-cuisine - without being worried about whether or not someone else will hate it & be pouty.

BTW - this IS a great thread!

Yep. Great thread.

I will NEVER, EVER date someone again who claims that the world owes them something, that their attitude is justifiable because the world is mean to them, or because they aren't liked.

I won't ever have to sit across from someone at a meal in stoney silence simpley because they have "nothing to say" (Angel From Montgomery, baby...).

I will rise up to fullfil my potential and NEVER, EVER shack up with someone who can't carry on a basic conversation, knows nothing about the arts, sciences, or literature, or who thinks God is and should be defined by one group of people.

I won't blush any more because your repeated outbursts indicate that you don't know anything about world history, American history, art history or philosophy.

I won't have to cover for you anymore when you insist that the French are actually big fans of cheddar.

I won't have to make excuses for you anymore when you chastise my Jewish stepdad for not liking bacon cheeseburgers.

I won't get enraged when you declare that all poor blacks in this country are there "because God intended it". (a personal fav).

I won't have to endure another gut-wrenching dinner with your crackerbox family discussing entertainment tonight, brangelina, or whether or not Britney got a facelift.

Whew! Man, do I feel better!

SF

Hey, I'm French and I LOVE Cheddar, just like pretty much everyone I know! ;)

Just wanted to claim back fruit teas. You made me like them, well I'm keeping them.

Hey, I'm French and I LOVE Cheddar, just like pretty much everyone I know! ;)

Just wanted to claim back fruit teas. You made me like them, well I'm keeping them.

Fair enough - you keep the cheddar - I get the brie.

Wow, sandflea, you are SO much better off without her! Yikes! How did you end up with her in the first place? And did SHE break up with YOU??