I got dumped 2 days before my Birthday...

It happened 3 days ago. I felt like the biggest fool, horrified and sad...when he arranged to meet with me a few days after a major fight, i thought it was going to be a make-up date. We went to my favourite restaurant, we had a nice time, and when dessert came, tears came to his eyes and he told me he couldn't make me happy the way i deserve and broke up with me. We sat in a park for an hour, both of us crying in each others arms. I feel so pathetic, but I begged him to reconsider, but i felt it was useless. I couldnt convince him to change his mind. He told me he loves me still, but couldn't stand seeing me upset and knowing he couldnt change.

My ex and I were together for nearly 1 yr. We had a great time together...yes, there were fights, but we had amazing chemistry, and when it was right it was sooo right.

We fought a lot, many times with me threatening to break up. he would convince me he would make things work and we would get past tough times. I would always believe him and fall back into the comfort zone. This time, he ended it, and didn't listen to my pleas. it hurt me...especially as I was looking forward to spending my birthday with him. i felt he freaked out at the prospect of planning something special (we always had issues when it came to him being romantic and making grand gestures.) and basically he didn't want the responsibilities that came with being a boyf.

It hurt me so much...he sent me a text message in the afternoon of my birthday saying, that he wanted to wish me a happy birthday and how he wasn't sure whether it would upset me or make me mad. he really means it and he said he was sure i didnt want to speak to him and how he understands. then he preceeds to wish me "everything I could ever want" from my new job and happiness.

I have not contacted him....it's really tough cos i miss him so much. I feel mixed feelings of anger, loneliness and depression. I knew nothing he could do would make the day any better. it was a lose-lose situation. but ultimately I feel so disappointed he didn't even call. i felt like he's a cop-out and a coward, but at the same time i miss him so much. he was my best friend in a lonely city.

I'm devastated. Half of me wants to remain friends with him, the other half is still so angry but I want him back....I love his company so much. How should I approach this whole NC thing....? How do you resolve the anger when you feel like you've been deserted and abandoned?