Breaking away from emotional abuse/codependency?

DatingQuestions

Hello, I've been dating my LD boyfriend for about nine months now. At times I really felt like we could get married one day despite our differences. He claims that he loves me more than he loves his life, and that he would give his life to me anytime. Whenever I had doubts about the relationship and wanted to break up, he always told me that he would kill himself because he can't see a life without me. I don't know about you guys but i feel a tremendous amount of weight and pressure, having forced into a position to be the one that's responsible for his happiness, future, and even life!

I told him that I need some space but he is not taking it well. Do you guys think this is a serious enough reason to break up with him?

Hi,

I read your post, and the first thing I thought, was this person is trying to control you with emotional blackmail, and that is not healthy for either of you.

You are not responsible for another person happiness, that must come from within themselves, also it is a tremendous burden, for someone to say " you are their life " " they will die without you "

I have just left an extremely traumatic relationship, one that was controlling and mentally abusive, he also, at the beginning, said things like that to me.

He became so controlling, with his moods, that I felt I was suffocating.

It was like always walking on egg shells, incase I did or said something he did not like.

So my advice to you would be, take a step back, write list of what exactly you are getting out of this relationship, look at it, then make your decision.