breakup two days before christmas...

I am a junior in college and I have dated my now ex- boyfriend a little under 10 months and we have or (had been) official over 8 months. My freshman year of college we met at a club, and we went on two dates but never really hit it off mainly because we were both too quiet. We lost touch because he had surgery and the time went on. Then we started talking online last year and things were different the second time around. One problem we have always had was communication. Since it was both of ours first serious relationship, when it came to calling or what not we both werent great at it. By the time the summer came along things got more serious, and he invited me to his sisters engagement dinner. I felt close with him but maybe not so much emotionally. It was hard to understand his feelings and I always felt a little werid sharing mine if he didnt. When we went back to schoool this fall things were going well. Then one weekend in maine we had a "scare" and he thought I might have been pregnant when i was 99 percent sure i was fine. We had a talk about 2 months ago about this and he said ever since the scare he has had this feeling of how do we know we are good for eachother or in other words he wasnt sure of things between us and he mentioned to leave our options open for the future. This really got me upset but we talked through it even though I mentioned a break. So the past week and a half we both have been busy with exams and id call him and he'd miss my call or be busy and vice versa. But over the period of about a week and a half we never really talked over the phone. It just happened and I felt hurt by it. So I eventually texted him saying if you dont really want to talk to me I guess I dont want to talk to you. and he texted back saying he cared and that he's been upset by it too--this was 2am so he said he woudl call back the next day after work... 8pm rolled around and this was 2 days before christmas eve and i had gotten him a gift even though things werent going great i assumed we would talk again. so he called and one of the first things he said to me was we should take a break. he didnt even try to talk about what happened and that last monday he was texting me saying he loved me and boom now its a break! so i said if we take a break it means breakup to me..and he said well a break is no guarantee we will get back together. and i told him it was really bad timing with xmas he could have brought this up after...and he said that it would have been bad to give eachother gifts and then break up after christmas. i still think he should have talked about it first and at least met with me instead of doing it over the phone...and i mentioend that and he said at least i didnt do it online. i mean 10 months isnt really long but i think he could have been better doing it. and i mentioned how i was thinking about taking a break with him after christmas. its just awful how it just ended like that and hwas like we should conitunie to talk online. do you think it even bothers him?? and one more thing...his best friend from home broke up with his gf last week..i know i shouldnt think of that but i wonder does that have anthing to do with this?? And over thanskgiving was when he got distant too..its like whenever hes home he doesnt need me. if we couldnt really communicate great over 10 months do you think we ever will get back together??? I didnt think i would miss him so much...i mean everything about him i love and i balled my eyes out. its just the fact the way he did this was like he didnt care about me.