Trading in your old wedding ring towards your new wedding ring?

almostthere

My exh and I purchased a ring from Helzberg diamonds for my engagement ring. They have a diamond policy stating that you can bring in that ring and as long as the new ring costs twice as much as the old ring you can trade it in and get the actual cash value to put towards the new ring.

My old ring is almost exactly half the price of the new one.

Would you trade in your old one towards a new one with your new fiance?

He doesnt think he wants to. I want to because it will save us $1000.

What are some of your opinions on this?

I paid for the ring myself out of my graduation money. And it was not the one that i was given when i was proposed to. It was given to me on my wedding day (which may be worse) but the things is just sitting in my jewelry box anyway for the past 4 years. I want to see it go for something good. he wants me to take the diamonds and get a new setting with it instead to wear on a different finger or necklace or whatever. I think its stupid...but I didnt say that. I understand if it makes him feel weird we just wont do it. I just am really bad at looking for ways to save money. And this is like a 50% off sale to me.

What do you think?

Respect your fiancee's request on this. He doesn't want your ring to be a constant sore spot for him for the rest of your marriage and a reminder of your exH. It's not worth any financial benefit you might get.

Have your old stone re-set for yourself or as a gift to a (future) daughter or daughter-in-law.