! Should I fly out to meet my boyfriend's family?

My boyfriend wants to take me back to his hometown to meet his whole family in May. They live on the other side of the country. I am very excited and nervous about this idea. But I am wondering if we should be engaged before I journey all the way over there to meet them. We have been talking extensively about becoming engaged, but there's no ring yet.

I am wondering how his family will react to me as "just his girlfriend". Will they not take me seriously? I have already met his mother, and meeting his extended family feels to me like something that should be done after we have an official commitment to eachother. Am I being silly? Should I just go? What is your opinion on this?

By the way, I am 23 and he is 26.

How long have you been dating? I wouldn't worry about his family "accepting" you. They'll see that you are excited about the possibility of being part of the family. I met my now fiance's extended family about 1 month after we started dating. I got to know them, and really liked them. I also went to there Christmas gatherings a year later, and two years after that. Now were engaged, and they are all very excited about it because they already know they llike me, and I like them! They know I'll make a good addition to their family. In short, I think you should go. Good luck!

• Author

To answer your question we've been exclusive for 8 months.

I think the reason I am a little hestitant to go meet his family before we make a solid commitment, is because I've done all this before. I dated a man for 4 years before I met my boyfriend. I traveled to meet his family and we were very serious but obviously it didn't work out.

I guess I just want this time to be special. Showing up as my boyfriend's fiance instead of his girlfriend would show his family how serious we are.

Thanks for the advice.