LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Transitioning > Getting Married

Wedding questions?

Getting Married Cold feet to pre-marital stressors--the place to discuss all the issues that come with saying "I do."

Like Tree99Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th December 2017, 2:52 PM   #46
Established Member

customary in our culture, plus the bridal gown is likely to be difficult to move around and go to the toilet in, lol

My friend, Taiwanese, married with THREE dresses: white, red and silver, no idea is it cultural but I'd guess so. All looked cool though, like prom dresses.

I dunno if the Sephoras here offer free returns - if not - you can ask for testers, this works for allergy check as well

Can you actually bring your own products to the makeup artist?
It probably depends, but you can ask in advance.

hopefully it'll be long enough to do cool styles with in 10 months' time I remember for my prom the stylist used something to add volume to the updo. For other styles: I think nowadays is very common to use extensions (which looks quite natural... TBH for 10 months you can't grow more than 4-5 inches, if that).
Elswyth likes this.
No_Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 3:40 PM   #47
Established Member

I'm not sure I did a whole lot for our wedding besides shower and show up. It's possible that I combed my hair.

Els, watching you stress may cause me to start suggesting elopement.
Elswyth likes this.
GorillaTheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2017, 6:48 AM   #48

photo session

Hello! I want to reduce the wedding budget and make myself retouch wedding photos. Recently I found an article about The wedding celebrity photo retouching role in styled wedding photo shoot Celebrity photo retouching look guide It seems to me it's quite difficult! Are there people who succeeded in such a venture?
helenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2017, 7:47 AM   #49
Established Member

I did make up without trial. I hated it, because I'm not used to so much make up, normally I wear very little: just some blush and mascara/eye shadow. I thought it made me look old. But everyone else said I looked great.

What did you decide to do about the gap?
Elswyth likes this.
BluEyeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2017, 11:50 AM   #50
Established Member

I'm not a fan of gaps between the ceremony and reception, because then the wedding festivities basically take up my entire day. I can't take a nap because I don't want to have to redo my hair and makeup, and can't wander too far because I have to be at the reception. I find it annoying.

One wedding I went to had a two hour gap, though, that worked out okay because of how they handled it. People lingered a bit at the ceremony location and then headed over to the reception location where they had an area reserved and were serving drinks and appetizers for an hour before the reception officially began. So, that way, people had a place to go and food to eat for some of the time. I've also been at one where they rented buses and did tours of the area during the gap. That was fine, I guess, but it felt like we were just killing time rather than really sightseeing because we were all dressed up.

I had a destination wedding so wasn't able to do trial runs of hair or makeup. (Although frankly, I wouldn't have bothered with it anyway.) I found pictures of hairstyles and makeup I liked and brought them with me to show her what I had in mind, and it turned out great. Don't overthink it too much.
Elswyth likes this.
Old 21st December 2017, 12:09 PM   #51
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluEyeL View Post
I did make up without trial. I hated it, because I'm not used to so much make up, normally I wear very little: just some blush and mascara/eye shadow. I thought it made me look old. But everyone else said I looked great.

What did you decide to do about the gap?
We're actually leaning towards doing both the ceremony and the reception at the same place now. That would allow us to book the late afternoon slot and go directly into the reception afterwards. I mean, their restaurant really isn't our favourite reception venue, but the ceremony venue is amazing, absolutely the dream wedding spot, and I think it's the best compromise all around - shorter day for everyone (especially the women who will have to take longer to get ready), no gap, guests can even fly in on the morning itself if they prefer to.

I was afraid the SO might disagree (he was the one who didn't much like their reception venue initially), but he was very understanding about it and agreed with my explanation! I think he just really doesn't want to stress me out more with the planning. I'm lucky that he's so laid back with this stuff.

I just need to get our provisional booking changed now, hopefully no one has taken up the reception slot for our date. Annoyingly, the wedding coordinator of that venue hasn't answered my emails for the past 4 days, so I don't know if I should send her a third unanswered email. From what I've read in reviews, they're generally very responsive and on top of things, so I'm hoping they'll buck up once the festive season is over. To be fair, most places in that country have pretty bad customer service (by US standards), lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaTheater View Post
I'm not sure I did a whole lot for our wedding besides shower and show up. It's possible that I combed my hair.

Els, watching you stress may cause me to start suggesting elopement.
I am certainly tempted!

I mean, honestly, what do guys even DO on the morning of the wedding? The advice I've read so far re: hair/makeup for the bridal party says we should start THREE hours before it's time for us to depart!!!! Absolute madness, lol. I want to enjoy a leisurely snooze and lunch and then just shower and show up, too!
Old 21st December 2017, 1:29 PM   #52
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elswyth View Post
I mean, honestly, what do guys even DO on the morning of the wedding? The advice I've read so far re: hair/makeup for the bridal party says we should start THREE hours before it's time for us to depart!!!! Absolute madness, lol. I want to enjoy a leisurely snooze and lunch and then just shower and show up, too!
My husband spent the morning rewiring our various house robots (don't ask) with his best man. It would've been just like him to set the house on fire on our wedding day.

It is interesting how people have such different experiences. My friend was exhausted because she was so excited for her wedding she couldn't sleep. I dropped like a rock, which is unusual for me. I think it was adrenaline overload.

One piece of advice I would give to all brides: get a hotel room for the night before as well as after. It was so helpful to be able to read, relax and rest in a different environment. I was focused on my workout, the book I was reading and my wedding, not "ugh, I should clean the kitchen" or "we need to dust that shelf".
Elswyth likes this.

Last edited by lana-banana; 21st December 2017 at 1:34 PM..
lana-banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2017, 1:36 PM   #53
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lana-banana View Post
My husband spent the morning rewiring our various house robots (don't ask) with his best man. It would've been just like him to set the house on fire on our wedding day.

It is interesting how people have such different experiences. My friend was exhausted because she was so excited for her wedding she couldn't sleep. I dropped like a rock, which is unusual for me. I think it was adrenaline overload.

One piece of advice I would give to all brides: get a hotel room for the night of. It was so helpful to be able to read, relax and rest in a different environment. I was focused on my workout, the book I was reading and my wedding, not "ugh, I should clean the kitchen" or "we need to dust that shelf".
Haha, we aren't living there though, so will definitely have a hotel room! Did you and your then-fiance share the room? If we do (as we usually do when on vacation), I'll probably have to chase him out once the bridal party and stylists come in to start the makeup/hair/dressing process, otherwise it would be awkward, lol.

I feel like a big part of the wedding process is so traditional - the typical rituals seem to assume that we won't be staying together until after the wedding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clia View Post

I had a destination wedding so wasn't able to do trial runs of hair or makeup. (Although frankly, I wouldn't have bothered with it anyway.) I found pictures of hairstyles and makeup I liked and brought them with me to show her what I had in mind, and it turned out great. Don't overthink it too much.
Thanks! I will try to remember that.

How early did you guys fly in? We'll likely do 3-4 days ahead of time at least, to give ample time for the paperwork we'll need to do for the marriage certificate, plus it's one of our favourite places in the world so it would be nice to have a bit of time to relax and enjoy it instead of doing wedding-related stuff all the time.
Elswyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2017, 2:18 PM   #54
Established Member

Quote:
Haha, we aren't living there though, so will definitely have a hotel room! Did you and your then-fiance share the room? If we do (as we usually do when on vacation), I'll probably have to chase him out once the bridal party and stylists come in to start the makeup/hair/dressing process, otherwise it would be awkward, lol.
He stayed at home the night before and joined me after.

Wedding traditions are just that---traditions, not laws. Pick and choose what works for you. Beyond a best man and man of honor, we didn't have a wedding party. There was no ceremony, no aisle, no religious element. We took our family pictures a half-hour before guests arrived so we could all focus on having fun. Part of the enjoyment of wedding planning is doing what matters to you and throwing out the rest!
Elswyth likes this.
lana-banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2017, 3:21 PM   #55
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lana-banana View Post
He stayed at home the night before and joined me after.

Wedding traditions are just that---traditions, not laws. Pick and choose what works for you. Beyond a best man and man of honor, we didn't have a wedding party. There was no ceremony, no aisle, no religious element. We took our family pictures a half-hour before guests arrived so we could all focus on having fun. Part of the enjoyment of wedding planning is doing what matters to you and throwing out the rest!
Oh, I totally agree! We are already making some non-traditional choices. For instance, in our culture, before the ceremony the bridal party usually "holds the fort" against the groom and groomsmen who must satisfy them in order to get to the bride. They'll usually do some hazing and make some demands of the men, most of which are somewhat uncomfortable/embarrassing. We're not going to do that, as we both think it's silly.

I like some elements of tradition though. The whole ceremony and aisle thing feels lovely and quaint. I was just musing how some traditions have remained the same for so long, whereas the world has moved on in most cases of everyday life.
Old 22nd December 2017, 6:55 AM   #56
Established Member

Gotta start looking for photographers and celebrants now - I've heard the good ones book out way ahead of time! Having a good celebrant is a big factor for the SO, he wants one who is relaxed and informal, not inappropriate but can keep the whole thing light and flowing. I've heard that the best way to find one you like is to meet them - but without living nearby, we can't do that. I guess Skype is our next best bet?
Old 22nd December 2017, 7:49 AM   #57
Established Member

I"m glad you decided to do the ceremony and reception at the same venue. It'll save you a lot of headaches.
clia and Elswyth like this.
BluEyeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2017, 10:41 AM   #58
Established Member

Quote:
How early did you guys fly in? We'll likely do 3-4 days ahead of time at least, to give ample time for the paperwork we'll need to do for the marriage certificate, plus it's one of our favourite places in the world so it would be nice to have a bit of time to relax and enjoy it instead of doing wedding-related stuff all the time.
We were there for two weeks and basically got married in the middle of it, so we had time on both ends to relax. The first thing we did upon arrival was get the marriage license so we didn't have to worry about that.
Elswyth and BluEyeL like this.
clia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2017, 11:47 AM   #59
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluEyeL View Post
I"m glad you decided to do the ceremony and reception at the same venue. It'll save you a lot of headaches.
Yeah, I figured so too! Plus at least now I won't have to get up early to get ready...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clia View Post
We were there for two weeks and basically got married in the middle of it, so we had time on both ends to relax. The first thing we did upon arrival was get the marriage license so we didn't have to worry about that.
Cool! Did you have any issues finding a good photographer and celebrant without being local?
Old 2nd January 2018, 6:22 AM   #60
Established Member

Update: We've booked and paid the deposit for our ceremony and reception venue (with no gap )!

I am just looking through lots of gorgeous wedding photographs in photographers' portfolios to see which one we want. They all look amazing. How does one choose??

The dress is still being procrastinated. I hate clothes shopping with a passion, so am really not looking forward to that part, lol.