LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Transitioning > Getting Married

Fiance's sister didn't congratulate us

Getting Married Cold feet to pre-marital stressors--the place to discuss all the issues that come with saying "I do."

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th October 2017, 4:28 AM   #16
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lana-banana View Post
What is going on here? Not everyone always gets along, but three of his siblings believe your marriage is a bad idea? Even the one who gets along with you thinks it's a mistake? Why are they so against it?

You both should get counseling immediately if you haven't started already. Losing one familial relationship is hard enough, but your fiancÚ may end up severing or limiting three of the most important relationships in his life with this. In addition to the short-term stress of wedding planning this is going to be an issue for the entirety of your marriage and could lead to real strain and resentment if you don't have a plan moving forward.
He has already limited how much time he spends with his family. The more they badmouth me to him, the more he pulls away. Now they're complaining about it. And of course, they're trying to blame it on me.

I think they just wanted him to date a certain sort of person, and I'm not that person. Some of the stuff they criticize me for isn't even any of their business, like how my fiance and I choose to handle our bills/finances, and whether or not we choose to have children.

The most recent blowup happened when I tried to enforce boundaries in our home. They were furious. Lol. I probably shouldn't laugh, but I think it's incredible that they expect us to just let them do whatever they want (and yes, I spoke to my fiance first. I didn't just make the decision by myself). This might be me imagining things, but I feel they are very controlling. I'm the type of person who just doesn't put up with that.
SpiralOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2017, 3:26 PM   #17

So what she didn't respond. Get over it. Some people, INCLUDING HIS FAMILY will not like you. IT IS OK!

Grow thick skin now or later. Like others have said let him handle his guest list and you should keep it moving. Don't burn energy on her. It ain't worth it.
Untcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote