What do you think about buying rings online?

BarryJohnny

Hey folks :)

I'm wondering because a friend of mine wants to marry and he told me, that he and his future wife bought their rings ONLINE. I never saw anyone doing this ... I don't know the website, where they did this (I may get the site later and repost it). Does anyone of you have any experiences with buying RINGS online? Sorry for my distraction ... but I am so surprised and now I want to know if there are more of you, who did it this way :)

Thanks a lot, greetings.

RecentChange

Sure what's wrong with buying online?

Many brick and mortar shops also have an online presence.

I have an heirloom stone - and we worked with an online retailer to have a custom setting made for it (and then had the stone set by a local jeweler).

• Like 2

Buying wedding rings online is very common especially among those that want to design their own settings, use nontraditional stones and/or use nontraditional metals. I've seen some stunning rings purchased online.

• Like 2
staggerlee71

buy it in person. This will be the only time you get to experience seeing diamonds, learning what you like and why. It becomes more than just a symbol. when your shopping for a diamond for your girl, you can sense what you want her to wear. You have to like it too.

You may pay a little more but the experience should justify that

• Like 1
  • Author

[]Why wouldn't I wanna see and TRY it? For myself it is the feeling ... I can't really describe it. I guess you understand.

But hey ... they are so happy, and that is the most important thing. Seems like some of you could also imagine to buy it online. The world itself changes a little bit more every day, maybe some old traditions are just what I like :)

Oh and I forgot something .. sorry :) I for myself bought my ring at the jewelry, but who knows how my kids will handle it .. or other persons :) Guess to be happy is the only important fact :)

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Merge and remove commercial link

I know someone who bought the stone online and had it set by a local jeweler and the ring got appraised at $10,000 more than he spent in total.

That sounds smart to me and it's exactly what she wanted on top.

• Like 1

I could see it being difficult to know the quality of the stone without looking through one of those jewelers magnifying glasses.

I leaned a lot when I purchased the ring for my ex wife.

I'd want to make sure the site was reputable but otherwise what is the problem? You can buy almost anything on line these days.

It depends on how reputable the seller is. James Allen (formerly Dirt Cheap Diamonds...not the most attractive name, you know?) has been around forever and is as legit as any retail shop. We bought ours locally but that was mostly because I wanted to ensure I was getting something conflict-free. If value is your top concern then online is the way to go.

staggerlee71

Appraisals don't mean a thing and re-sale on diamonds are worse than automobiles. They don't hold any value.

I don't think anyone buys a ring with the intent of resale (at least, I sure hope not). But if you want the absolute biggest or brightest or whatever diamond, you have far more options online, at least in my experience. There are thousands of SI2 diamonds for sale online, whereas many jewelry stores won't carry them.

All our jewelry appraised for a little higher than the actual retail value, which I thought was ideal; you wouldn't want to pay a ton more on an insurance policy.

• 1 month later...