LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Transitioning > Getting Married

FiancÚ had a lap dance 3 weeks before our wedding


Getting Married Cold feet to pre-marital stressors--the place to discuss all the issues that come with saying "I do."

Like Tree158Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st August 2017, 2:47 PM   #31
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentChange View Post
If the thought of a stripper bothers you so much that you now can't eat because you are so upset.....

I think you should have made that very very very very (did I say very?) clear to him at some point before the bachelor party.

Strippers during a stag party is par for the course.

Personally, I would have ZERO problem with this. I am chubby, I don't look like a stripper, and I know my husband well enough to not feel insecure about it. He loves me, not some random girl who takes her clothes off for money
This. The OP is partly at fault for not communicating her discomfort with strippers at bachelor parties.
BettyDraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2017, 2:52 PM   #32
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidKnightDreams View Post


I seriously doubt the other guys would have backed off.

Men have always had codes. Codes of honor. Codes of conduct. Rules to live by thar superseded marriage and weren't dictated by women. These new, emasculated boys might be different, but certain groups of men will always have a code.
Do codes among men include deceiving their female partners?

I would think that a man who lives by a code of ethical behavior would behave in an honorable manner towards everyone in his life....especially his nearest and dearest. Lying and hiding things just to impress the "bros" is not honorable at all. It's also rather immature.

Why would being loyal to codes be more important than maintaining loyalty to a marriage? I put my husband first and I expect him to do the same.
BettyDraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2017, 2:59 PM   #33
Established Member
 
elaine567's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 13,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyDraper View Post
This. The OP is partly at fault for not communicating her discomfort with strippers at bachelor parties.
Maybe but she was blind-sided by the "guys" - she thought the axe throwing and brewery tour was what was planned and she was shocked when she found out when he got home that he had been in a strip joint and he had a lap dance... shocked because he had told her he didn't want to do that.
She was naive maybe, but she trusted in him and was let down.
elaine567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2017, 3:23 PM   #34
Established Member
 
d0nnivain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Northeastern USA
Posts: 24,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidKnightDreams View Post
The United States Marine Corp. Navy Seals. I can go on and on. Yes, fraternities. Code. Even the men in some families have a code. A way they do things.

Y'all might not like it, but men have always had codes. If you understood manhood and how men work together, you'd understand why it's not only desirable but necessary.

My husband IS a United States Marine. I understand God, Country, Corps. But no where in there do they advocate lying. The groups you cited believe in fidelity & loyalty. Putting your "bros" before your soon to be wife and your sister dishonors that code.


"I can't talk about it; it's classified" is different from telling your beloved that you are "at the beach" which evokes a sense of calm & well being vs. you being in an amphibious tractor about to start a water landing under enemy fire. Part of that lie / obfuscation may be so your loved one at home doesn't worry. It's also vastly different from saying "I'm deployed & I love you" when the person is out carousing every night & getting with every cheap hooker in some war-torn hell-hole or having a side piece in the battalion (since women are in forward areas now).


Again it was one lap dance, not a reason to stop eating or blow up the impending wedding, but a real man can stand up to his buddies & also picks friends of good character who don't advocate lying to a spouse or affirmatively breaking her trust. On this single issue -- a stripper at a bachelor party -- I would forgive the guy for buckling under the pressure (in part because I'm not na´ve enough to think there won't be strippers at a bachelor party no matter how many times the guy says otherwise). In any other situation, I'd need to see a lot more integrity & fortitude from my man to stick around.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2017, 3:29 PM   #35
Established Member
 
MidKnightDreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Big D
Posts: 3,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyDraper View Post
Do codes among men include deceiving their female partners?

I would think that a man who lives by a code of ethical behavior would behave in an honorable manner towards everyone in his life....especially his nearest and dearest. Lying and hiding things just to impress the "bros" is not honorable at all. It's also rather immature.

Why would being loyal to codes be more important than maintaining loyalty to a marriage? I put my husband first and I expect him to do the same.
I've said what I have to say.

On a guys night out, the general rule is we don't snitch. What another man does is between him and his wife. That's on him. It has nothing to do with me and my integrity is intact.

No woman is going to browbeat me and make me tell anything. It's not going to happen. Any woman who knows me would know better than to even try.

Among the men that I associate with, that's understood. Discretion. I keep my circle small and wouldn't knowingly go out with any man who thinks being "honorable" and having "integrity" is snitching on others.
MidKnightDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2017, 3:43 PM   #36
Established Member
 
d0nnivain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Northeastern USA
Posts: 24,665
MidKnightDreams


I'm not talking about the buddies snitching on the groom. We're talking about the bride's brother.


The groom fessed up. He gets points for that.


I'm way more annoyed at the bride's brother for advocating not telling her / "not snitching" to use your words.


My husband's friends owe their loyalty to him, as your buddies owe each other. My blood family owes it to me, gender not withstanding.


Are you really saying you would allow your sister or maybe your future daughter be so disrespected by her FI and not speak up? A single lap dance may not be all that terrible, but where is the line drawn -- a hand job, oral or even full on sex? As long as the little wifey doesn't know it's all good?
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2017, 4:02 PM   #37
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidKnightDreams View Post
I've said what I have to say.

On a guys night out, the general rule is we don't snitch. What another man does is between him and his wife. That's on him. It has nothing to do with me and my integrity is intact.

No woman is going to browbeat me and make me tell anything. It's not going to happen. Any woman who knows me would know better than to even try.

Among the men that I associate with, that's understood. Discretion. I keep my circle small and wouldn't knowingly go out with any man who thinks being "honorable" and having "integrity" is snitching on others.
An Alpha male who isn't ashamed of what he is doing doesn't need to hide it from anyone.

Lying in order to impress the boys shows weakness because such behavior requires bending to your peer group.

At some point, most men outgrow the "bros before h**" mentality and that usually happens after leaving college.
BettyDraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2017, 4:04 PM   #38
Established Member
 
MidKnightDreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Big D
Posts: 3,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0nnivain View Post
MidKnightDreams


I'm not talking about the buddies snitching on the groom. We're talking about the bride's brother.


The groom fessed up. He gets points for that.


I'm way more annoyed at the bride's brother for advocating not telling her / "not snitching" to use your words.


My husband's friends owe their loyalty to him, as your buddies owe each other. My blood family owes it to me, gender not withstanding.


Are you really saying you would allow your sister or maybe your future daughter be so disrespected by her FI and not speak up? A single lap dance may not be all that terrible, but where is the line drawn -- a hand job, oral or even full on sex? As long as the little wifey doesn't know it's all good?
Her brother was part of the crew that night. He better not snitch.

Which is why you don't want her family members in the bachelor party, but that's another story.

As far as my sisters go, no I wouldn't tell if he merely got a lap dance. If I'm present, a guy would know not to go too far. But, a lap dance? Are you serious? Even if he tried to take it farther at the party, he would have a problem with ME ... right then. My sister would never know. Unless somebody else told her.

But, the guys taking him out, getting him drunk, and buying him a lap dance? Harmless fun. No need for all of this drama and long discussion. All of these overly emotional what-if scenarios.
Bastile likes this.
MidKnightDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2017, 4:11 PM   #39
Established Member
 
d0nnivain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Northeastern USA
Posts: 24,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidKnightDreams View Post
Her brother was part of the crew that night. He better not snitch.

Which is why you don't want her family members in the bachelor party, but that's another story.

As far as my sisters go, no I wouldn't tell if he merely got a lap dance. If I'm present, a guy would know not to go too far. But, a lap dance? Are you serious? Even if he tried to take it farther at the party, he would have a problem with ME ... right then. My sister would never know. Unless somebody else told her.

But, the guys taking him out, getting him drunk, and buying him a lap dance? Harmless fun. No need for all of this drama and long discussion. All of these overly emotional what-if scenarios.

I said the lap dance was fine (even though I wasn't thrilled with the hands on the hips)


You answered my Qs -- there are some lines that do not get crossed. A lap dance but nothing more -- OK fine bro code can apply. I was simply trying to figure out where you stood on the rest. Again, among the buddies, silence is the code. I can deal with that to some extent (at least I know it exists). I just did know where you were coming down on the brother or the next steps. To a large extent the Qs were theoretical because all we know actually happened was the lap dance.


As long as we're clear that family trumps the boys on the serious stuff, I will go back to reassuring the OP -- who seems to have bowed out of this fracas -- that she needs to simmer down about one lap dance which her groom immediately disclosed. So again, even you would be defending your sister if her groom had sex with the stripper.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2017, 4:12 PM   #40
Established Member
 
MidKnightDreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Big D
Posts: 3,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyDraper View Post
An Alpha male who isn't ashamed of what he is doing doesn't need to hide it from anyone.

Lying in order to impress the boys shows weakness because such behavior requires bending to your peer group.

At some point, most men outgrow the "bros before h**" mentality and that usually happens after leaving college.
Except it's not lying to impress the boys.

It's grown men stay out of other grown men's affairs. Minding your business. Not a difficult concept.
MidKnightDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2017, 4:48 PM   #41
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidKnightDreams View Post
Except it's not lying to impress the boys.

It's grown men stay out of other grown men's affairs. Minding your business. Not a difficult concept.
It's one thing to mind your own business...quite another to give tacit approval of reprehensible behavior due to some imaginary code. You and I agree that a lap dance isn't a big deal. I'm just wondering if this code you speak of extends to other areas. Would you invoke your "man code" if your daughter was married and you knew that your son-in-law was cheating on her?
BettyDraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2017, 5:24 PM   #42
Established Member
 
MidKnightDreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Big D
Posts: 3,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyDraper View Post
It's one thing to mind your own business...quite another to give tacit approval of reprehensible behavior due to some imaginary code. You and I agree that a lap dance isn't a big deal. I'm just wondering if this code you speak of extends to other areas. Would you invoke your "man code" if your daughter was married and you knew that your son-in-law was cheating on her?
If my son-in-law and I were friends, do you really think he would cheat on my daughter in front of me? And think he would get away with it? Any guy with a lick of sense should know a father (or a brother) is going to be upset and probably go ballistic in that situation.

Your what-if scenarios aren't making sense.

Would I tell my daughter if my future son-in-law got a lap dance? Probably not. But, we agree on that so it's not an issue.

This is not about approving or tolerating bad behavior. It's about not creating problems where there are none.

My general belief is men should not be messy. Not be busybodies. I have a problem with the idea that men should tell everything they know. There is something to be said about being circumspect. Knowing when it's time to keep your mouth shut and stay out of another man's relationship.

I'm really skeptical about men that can't keep their mouths shut. Have to tell everything. There's something wrong with that and I tend to avoid them like the plague.

We have a phrase for men like that, but I can't say it on this site. It's vulgar, but descriptive.

Last edited by MidKnightDreams; 21st August 2017 at 5:34 PM..
MidKnightDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2017, 5:59 PM   #43
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidKnightDreams View Post
If my son-in-law and I were friends, do you really think he would cheat on my daughter in front of me? And think he would get away with it? Any guy with a lick of sense should know a father (or a brother) is going to be upset and probably go ballistic in that situation.

Your what-if scenarios aren't making sense.

Would I tell my daughter if my future son-in-law got a lap dance? Probably not. But, we agree on that so it's not an issue.

This is not about approving or tolerating bad behavior. It's about not creating problems where there are none.

My general belief is men should not be messy. Not be busybodies. I have a problem with the idea that men should tell everything they know. There is something to be said about being circumspect. Knowing when it's time to keep your mouth shut and stay out of another man's relationship.

I'm really skeptical about men that can't keep their mouths shut. Have to tell everything. There's something wrong with that and I tend to avoid them like the plague.

We have a phrase for men like that, but I can't say it on this site. It's vulgar, but descriptive.
Well, if you believe that masculine men should keep things from their partners, then maybe a close family member would feel perfectly fine cheating on his wife in front of you. Just kidding!

I agree that men should not be messy though. Unfortunately, that kind of behavior is extremely common among women. A busybody woman is silly enough but a man who loves to gossip is even worse in my eyes.

That said, the OP's fiance was being honest with her rather than sharing information in order to cause drama.
BettyDraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2017, 9:44 AM   #44
Established Member
 
Elswyth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 24,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidKnightDreams View Post
I watched a documentary about the Mongols. An American biker gang that rivals the Hell's Angels and many other bikers.

Those guys live by a code. They don't tell their women everything and women still love them.

The United States Marine Corp. Navy Seals. I can go on and on. Yes, fraternities. Code. Even the men in some families have a code. A way they do things.

Y'all might not like it, but men have always had codes. If you understood manhood and how men work together, you'd understand why it's not only desirable but necessary.
It's not the "codes" that are the problem. It's the fact that they're being used as an excuse to lie to one's partner that is the problem. I'm not sure the bikers and marines you mention will all be on board with themselves being listed as examples of people who would lie to their wives for their "bros", especially if said lying was all done for the sole purpose of going to a strip club. Come on... we're not talking about state secrets or protecting lives here.

Of course, none of this is relevant to the OP's partner - to his credit, he was honest with her. I'm taking issue with the suggestion that he's any "less of a man" just because he was honest with his wife. On the contrary, I think that it makes him MORE of a man to think for himself and to hold himself to a higher ethical standard, rather than going along with the brother's suggestion to lie.
__________________
~Perfection is about accepting that we cannot control everything and letting go of some of our preconceived notions.~ -Spiritofnow-

Last edited by Elswyth; 22nd August 2017 at 9:47 AM..
Elswyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2017, 10:13 AM   #45
Established Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,322
OP, postpone the marriage.

Take your time to get into the right mind to be able to decide on your own. It really doesn't matter how or what others feel. It's about how you feel. You have to live with that decision. Take your time. Postpone.
mikeylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FiancÚ left me after 7 year, 3 weeks before our wedding pinkyfloss Breaks and Breaking Up 17 28th August 2015 1:04 PM
your 1st wedding dance song. minimariah General Relationship Discussion 2 22nd August 2015 7:35 PM
My fiance left 2 weeks before wedding pony girl Coping 6 21st April 2012 8:42 AM
Fiance wants to go dance. Cole33 Dating 26 15th July 2008 8:46 PM
my cousins wedding and no one to dance with Patty Family 6 11th July 2004 12:41 AM

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 9:39 PM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2013 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.