LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Transitioning > Getting Married

FiancÚ doesn't want me wearing expensive ring?

Getting Married Cold feet to pre-marital stressors--the place to discuss all the issues that come with saying "I do."

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th August 2017, 7:18 PM   #16
Established Member

Yes...bear in mind OP that a diamond has a horrible resale value. So pay insurance for sentimental value and investment.
If your fiance paid 7,000 usd...if you were to sell it today, it would fetch maybe 3 to 5 thousand. Clarity will always be valuable but otherwise, diamonds have 1/3 market value.
7 Reasons Why Diamonds Are a Waste of Your Money | HuffPost

It really puts a whole other spin on diamonds on forever.

Not trying to be a negative nancy, Congratulations Starlightsfall! The life together that the sparkle represents is all it's about.
That's what your fiance needs to know.
Old 4th August 2017, 9:11 PM   #17
Established Member

If you do insure it to wear it keep in mind most insurance companies require yearly setting check and tightening. If you skip the required maintenance and the ring is lost, stolen, or the diamond falls out, it won't be covered.
Old 4th August 2017, 10:44 PM   #18
Established Member

My $1000 engagement ring is now worth $6000 45 years later. However I never thought to limit when my wife could wear it. Diamonds are one of the hardest things in the world. They make drill bits out of them. I would not worry about chipping. Did you have the ring appraised? I only ask that because I got my dad's ruby and diamond wedding band. When I went to a jeweler to take out the diamonds and make earrings for my wife, I learned that the diamonds and rubies were fake.
Old 5th August 2017, 6:58 AM   #19
Established Member

Your fiancÚ's attitude seems strange. Why wouldn't you show it off? The only reason you shouldn't wear your engagement ring regularly is if it has soft stones (opals, etc). What kinds of stones and metals are in it? I am glad we got platinum because I'm very clumsy, but gold can be redipped and cared for however often it's necessary. Just add it to your insurance policy and enjoy the peace of mind.

Best advice I got: your rings should be the last thing you put on before going out and the first things you take off at home. No, you don't need to wear your engagement ring all the time. But they're designed for regular wear! That's the whole point.
Old 5th August 2017, 9:05 AM   #20
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenCity View Post
I spent more than that on my ex wife's ring. She got insurance. Do you have that?
the question i must ask here is, did she keep the ring or returned it to you?

the lesson i learnt here is never buy expensive rings in the first place
Old 5th August 2017, 11:27 AM   #21

He said if anything ever happened (We hope that NEVER does) I would keep the ring. Though there is a stereotype around some woman and divorce, I'm not one for sabatoging or stealing half of someone's property. I swore that if I didn't love him (Which I do) the ring would go back to him and he disagrees entirely on this. Thank you guys so much for all your help, through showing him these posts its made him more at ease and is less pressure on me. We are getting married sometime in Febuary and I'm excited to be wearing this ring often without taking it off so the time! We talked about getting it insured as well when renting a house and the appraisal recently arrived today. Thanks so much again, you guys are all awesome!
JHandy likes this.

Last edited by Starlightsfall; 5th August 2017 at 11:30 AM..
Old 5th August 2017, 11:38 AM   #22
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlightsfall View Post
He said if anything ever happened (We hope that NEVER does) I would keep the ring. Though there is a stereotype around some woman and divorce, I'm not one for sabatoging or stealing half of someone's property. I swore that if I didn't love him (Which I do) the ring would go back to him and he disagrees entirely on this. Thank you guys so much for all your help, through showing him these posts its made him more at ease and is less pressure on me. We are getting married sometime in Febuary and I'm excited to be wearing this ring often without taking it off so the time! We talked about getting it insured as well when renting a house and the appraisal recently arrived today. Thanks so much again, you guys are all awesome!
Legally, the engagement ring would be YOUR property as long as you got married. It is a 'gift' and so he would have no legal right to it. My ex still has the engagement ring I gave to her and I am happy for it. It was/is a beautiful ring and she loved it. I hope she keeps it or sells it and not simply toss it away out of spite.
Old 5th August 2017, 4:36 PM   #23
Established Member

Show your fiance' the thread responses....

OP, I wonder if you could show him all the responses in this thread?

IMO, I would get the ring insured. It would be a total shame and waste if you could not wear your ring out in public.

When I was married, I wore my wedding/engagement ring all the time except at home. I just took it off along with my other jewelry. This saved it from getting dull by not taking showers with it. My ring was appraised and insured.

What if in the future, you two buy a super duper expensive car.....what is he gonna do, keep it in the garage and never drive it? Ugh....

Show him the responses
Old 5th August 2017, 4:59 PM   #24
Established Member

[J]ust spend your own money to get it insured and then tell him to shut up about it. []

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 6th August 2017 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: Topical content
Old 6th August 2017, 11:41 AM   #25
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenCity View Post
I spent more than that on my ex wife's ring. She got insurance. Do you have that?

Scratches can be buffed out. Wear and tear is going to happen but jewelers are pretty good about it.

Seems silly to have a fake ring and leave the real one at home. Its a symbol and he should want you to wear it.
This. OP, $7,000 is not exceedingly expensive for an engagement ring and scratches are bound to happen with time.

I wanted to wear just my wedding band and not the matching engagement ring. My husband was against that idea because he "didn't buy the ring set just so it one of them could sit in a box."

If you don't have insurance, please invest in some so that you have that protection in case of loss or theft.
Old 6th August 2017, 6:12 PM   #26
Established Member

Honestly, I'd be a little suspicious he was wanting to hock it or something and get some money back.
beatcuff likes this.
Old 7th August 2017, 6:58 AM   #27
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preraph View Post
Honestly, I'd be a little suspicious he was wanting to hock it or something and get some money back.
i like your train of thought but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlightsfall View Post
Boyfriend bought a $7,000 engagement ring
how do you know he paid that much? $7k is not a lot. his attitude is odd for a ring nearly everyone wears everyday/'make their friends jealous'. i suspect maybe that ring is not really a $7k ring. you have two paths --- 1: take the ring to an appraiser (any jeweler store) and ask for a verbal. 2: give him back the ring and tell him to get you a ring you can wear everyday (and don't be surprised you get the same ring back in a week).
Old 7th August 2017, 7:44 AM   #28
Established Member

The posts above seem like pretty dark speculation---nobody wants to think that about their fiancÚ---but it is a kind of weird situation. As others have said, 7k for an engagement ring is not a lot of money and below the national average. Rings don't have to be pricey to be special but it doesn't explain his attitude about it. Getting a proper appraisal wouldn't hurt. If the appraisal isn't in line with your expectations, something is wrong.