Been away a while...for a good reason!

WhirlwindGuy

I was pretty regular on here for a while last year and then I disappeared. I don't know if anyone cares, but I wanted to check in with this board and report on what has been going on with me since then.

Last year, I was all over the place. Dating is a freaking nightmare, at least for me it was. I went on so many dates "fell in love" a few times, had a lot of sex, made a lot of mistakes...it honestly was fun, hell, scary, exciting, etc all at the same time.

Around mid-June last year I met her. It was after being ghosted for the second time with someone else, I popped on Tinder again and we matched pretty quickly (that was very rare). Turns out, she just so happen to be friends with a good friend of mine at work. That seemed promising. We started chatting and she was going out of town, so we didn't meet up for a couple of weeks. First date, I was just blown away at how awesome this woman was. She was good looking, down to earth, a great conversationalist, healthy, loved kids, didn't have any of her own, had to be something wrong?!? The date, and the next handful of dates, were just effortless and fun. No pressure, no sex, no OMG she didn't say that or did say this...was just natural and felt refreshing.

We went out a few times and just clicked more and more and more. I honestly never realized how good a good relationship was. It made me realize even more how terrible my marriage was before, and how terrible the people I had been dating were. It sounds silly, and so cliché, but when things are right it just works...You don't need to constantly come to loveshack to ask what X Y or Z means, those things just naturally seem to work themselves out, when it is the right person...and this just seemed to work. You just get used to crap, and think that is just how it should be...but it doesn't have to be that way.

She loves me, she loves my son, we enjoy our friend groups together, we enjoy our solo time, family time...we just generally get along and it is soooo relieving...

We have been dating around a year now, we are set to get married soon...crazy I know...I honestly thought I would never get remarried. Things are not always perfect, of course. We have our share of disagreements, but the thing is...We TALK about them, and communicate through them. That is something I never had, even in my 10 year marriage. I honestly feel like I met my best friend. We have a blast together in almost everything we do. About the only thing we don't agree on AT ALL are TV shows...but whatever, I can concede that one.

So anyway. thank you community for all the timely advice over the past year. I know I am getting married too soon, I should probably wait 10 years etc etc...but i'm not. I'm going to give it another go, and hopefully it will be the last. Life is most definitely a whirlwind, and even through the hurt, and uncertainty and craziness, I wouldn't change a thing.

Those of you feeling the pressure and hell that dating can be. Don't fret. It seems like when you least expect it, when you are going to just give up on it and become a hermit and collect cats...something like this may come along.

Hopefully I wont be back here in a few years on the divorce boards, starting over...but you only live once, right?

Cheers!

Edited by WhirlwindGuy
  • Like 24

So happy to hear that sometimes love just works, huh? Love shouldn't be a struggle, but it is for so many because it's just not easy to find the right person that fits. Thanks for the uplifting happy ending!

• Like 1

Thank you so much for coming back and sharing your story.

May I ask why you are marrying to fast?

• Like 1
RecentChange

Yeah all sounds great whirlwind, but I have to say, your name is quite fitting huh?

If 18 months ago you were struggling with dating - why marriage plans already? That first year is full of limerence and bliss.

If the two of you are going to be together until death do you part - why the rush to get married? Marriage plans after less than a year together is most certainly the fast lane don't ya think?

• Like 4
todreaminblue

what a pleasure to read with my brekkie.....congratulations on finding your best friend.....thank you for sharing your uplifting story...i wish for your family a very happy life together.....deb

• Author
WhirlwindGuy

I agree, it's fast. I would say there really isn't a great reason, other than it just felt right. Of course there are practical things like, she can be on my insurance, pick my son up from school, etc. but that wasn't factoring in when we decided.

I agree with you guys, it looks crazy, and most definitely is. But it works for us, and hopefully will continue to. Yes, I do live up to the name. Just how I am. Fully aware that this isn't conventional, but conventional never worked before, so let's try this.

Thank you guys for the well wishes!

Edited by WhirlwindGuy
  • Like 2
mrs rubble
I agree, it's fast. I would say there really isn't a great reason, other than it just felt right. Of course there are practical things like, she can be on my insurance, pick my son up from school, etc. but that wasn't factoring in when we decided.

I agree with you guys, it looks crazy, and most definitely is. But it works for us, and hopefully will continue to. Yes, I do live up to the name. Just how I am. Fully aware that this isn't conventional, but conventional never worked before, so let's try this.

My new husband and I knew right away we were right for each other, we got engaged after 4 months, which is super fast too....we didn't end up getting married till 5 years later (this feb. just gone) but we're both still as much in love as we were 5 and a half years ago.

Wishing you all the best. Congratulations.

• Like 1
Grumpybutfun

Heck, I was engaged within 6 months and I'm the most logical, cautious dude around. When ya know, ya know! 23 years later, she is still the center of my universe!

Good luck, man,

G

• Like 4
todreaminblue

time..another's mans crazy is another mans sanity.....hah..just made my own quote......im a quote girl ....luv them....

heres one by abraham lincoln.....

IN THE END, ITS NOT THE YEARS IN YOUR LIFE BUT THE LIFE IN YOUR YEARS

what that quote signifies to me is the shortness of life whirlwind guy..time on earth is not infinite its actually a small space...that is unknown.....why do we wait.....when we dont know how long we have to move......we need to live not wait....and that means yeah sometimes we are going to make mistakes or jump a little too soon......but that is the "life in our years" not the"years in our life".....and to know when something feels right and good..you jump on that thang and you enjoy the view all the way good or bad..............smilin.....good luck..and happy landings......deb

• Author
WhirlwindGuy
time..another's mans crazy is another mans sanity.....hah..just made my own quote......im a quote girl ....luv them....

heres one by abraham lincoln.....

what that quote signifies to me is the shortness of life whirlwind guy..time on earth is not infinite its actually a small space...that is unknown.....why do we wait.....when we dont know how long we have to move......we need to live not wait....and that means yeah sometimes we are going to make mistakes or jump a little too soon......but that is the "life in our years" not the"years in our life".....and to know when something feels right and good..you jump on that thang and you enjoy the view all the way good or bad..............smilin.....good luck..and happy landings......deb

Perfectly sums up how I feel. I try and make good choices, but honestly, I'm too old to be that cautious. I want to enjoy the years I have left with a woman I can love.

• Like 2
RecentChange

Yep! Sometimes it's works. My dad got remarried in a whirlwind - married within 8 months, and that was over 25 years ago.

Unfortunately I have seen many more fizzle and burn in Grand fashion - there is a reason why 2nd marriages see a 70% divorce rate.

• Like 1

Because you have been in bad relationships before you should know you need more than a year to fully know someone enough to link your life and finance to them.

And exactly because you've been in bad relationships you should take your time to cross all the T's and dot all the I's before linking your life and finance to this woman.

And exactly because you've been in bad relationships before and you have a child involved it takes more than 'it feels right' to link your life and finance + your child's life to this woman.

And exactly because you've been in bad relationships before you should make sure that this relationship is the right one and the one that will last for the rest of your life, and this takes more than 'almost a year' to figure out.

• Like 1
greymatter
Because you have been in bad relationships before you should know you need more than a year to fully know someone enough to link your life and finance to them.

And exactly because you've been in bad relationships you should take your time to cross all the T's and dot all the I's before linking your life and finance to this woman.

And exactly because you've been in bad relationships before and you have a child involved it takes more than 'it feels right' to link your life and finance + your child's life to this woman.

And exactly because you've been in bad relationships before you should make sure that this relationship is the right one and the one that will last for the rest of your life, and this takes more than 'almost a year' to figure out.

We are all adults here and I don't think it's helpful to "should" people, but that's just me. If the OP had asked for advice, then okay, but otherwise, not helpful.

• Like 1
We are all adults here and I don't think it's helpful to "should" people, but that's just me. If the OP had asked for advice, then okay, but otherwise, not helpful.

Let OP decide what is helpful.

I am not into telling people what they want to hear just to be nice.

He expressed on 3 different occasions in his story that he knows it's too fast, I know how to listen and I know how to advice accordingly.

OP: Congrats!

I'm with Gaeta on this one, though. Looking at your past threads, you do have the tendency of hopping from one relationship to another very quickly.

Is there any reason you guys have to get married so soon? Is your girlfriend pressed for time in terms of having kids?

• Like 2

I am not one to rush and get married, but I don't think people who don't share my method are wrong.

Waiting too long can have you inventing problems that may not have a basis in reality.

Dating nowadays is filled with so many disappointments it's hard not to latch on when you find good. I don't blame anyone for that.

I know in 3 dates if a girl is LTR material. I don't see why the OP can't determine marriage material in a year.

I wish you the best OP and hope everything works out.

congrats! could you tell me both of your astrological signs? i know some people think it's silly. but, humor me?

• Author
WhirlwindGuy
congrats! could you tell me both of your astrological signs? i know some people think it's silly. but, humor me?

I'm a Capricorn and she is a Virgo.

Point noted Gaeta. I don't fully agree obviously, but I am aware of the potential pitfalls; we both are, and we are being diligent about looking out for and navigating them should they arise. So far, so good.

• Author
WhirlwindGuy
OP: Congrats!

I'm with Gaeta on this one, though. Looking at your past threads, you do have the tendency of hopping from one relationship to another very quickly.

Is there any reason you guys have to get married so soon? Is your girlfriend pressed for time in terms of having kids?

That's definitely part of the conversation. But ultimately we made the decision because we feel like it is the right thing for us in our lives. Irregardless of anything else.

It could be a complete mistake and disaster. But I don't think so. Hopefully I'm right, but who ever knows. What would another year tell me that this last one didn't tell me? I waited 4 years to marry my first wife and we were unhappy for most of the time. I saw the red flags before but she pressured and I eventually had in. This time there are no red flags. No pressure. It was just the right thing to do.

• Like 1

Point noted Gaeta. I don't fully agree obviously, but I am aware of the potential pitfalls; we both are, and we are being diligent about looking out for and navigating them should they arise. So far, so good.

Haha same here ! Capricorn girl with a Virgo man :D

It always instantly felt right and then I checked out our star sign compatibility and apparently two earth signs are a compatible match hahaha

If only star signs were legit :lmao:

Although strangely enough, all the libras and geminis I dated (a lot lol) turned out highly incompatible - and were also supposedly, poorly matched star signs !

I had the best experiences with Virgo men.

Ahh... of course... two earth signs. You "get" each other.

Always great to hear a good story. Is it too soon? Well, when its right, its right. Theres people on this website who have been dating the same person for 5 years, and its still not right.

When its right, its right.