How much should you spend on an engagement ring?

JuneJulySeptember

The 3 month thing dates way back and was to prove your intentions were serious back in the days when marriage was the pinnacle of a womans life...

These days I figure you are better off getting something she likes after all she is going to be wearing it!

Tradition also states that if the man calls off an engagement he must buy her gloves to cover her naked hands... How many times do you see that happen these days?

I took the quiz based my ideal in a fictional partner (no he doesn't earn billions) and was happy with the result. Personally I think he should spend less but its good to see that a stupid quiz thinks I am worth it! :D

• Like 2

I actually enjoyed participating in that quiz. Intrigued me even though I'm not even currently with anyone.

Yeah, thanks for that.

I actually enjoyed participating in that quiz. Intrigued me even though I'm not even currently with anyone.

Yeah, thanks for that.

I messed about and answered the questions but I suspect that they only wanted to know salary as it was the equivalent of 3 months salary that came up in the "how much to spend!

I have gone back and "played with the answers"...

Apparently being a wildcat in bed adds an extra $1000... as does being good in the kitchen... The more sex you get the more you pay...

Cheating from either deducts very serious amounts...

If her friends have high expectations you can knock of a shed load.

Virginity is only worth a lousy $300 bucks...

If you are pregnant forget getting a decent engagement ring... that knocks several thousand off.

If you are less educated you don't pay so much. If she is less educated you pay even less...

If she is in debt... you get a "get out of jail card" on how much you spend. But if you are in debt and she isn't then you have to stump up the cash!

If you are under 23 years of age they will try and have you for the big bucks...

• Like 3

Can't believe some of those questions.

Well looks like I am worth big bucks!! I would never ever expect my bf to pay a ring as expensive as a car. Ridiculous. If he spends the price of a transmission on a ring I'd be happy.

• Like 1

What did you get from the quiz? I got something like $17,000-$18,000. Honestly I'd be scared someone will attack me on the street. And knowing how I'm prone to losing things ... it won't be a wise purchase :D

I'm curious what people really spend in North America? In Europe it is not a practice at all - it is mainly the wedding bands, and they are usually super simple.

Can't believe some of those questions.

Well looks like I am worth big bucks!! I would never ever expect my bf to pay a ring as expensive as a car. Ridiculous. If he spends the price of a transmission on a ring I'd be happy.

• Like 2
What did you get from the quiz? I got something like $17,000-$18,000. Honestly I'd be scared someone will attack me on the street. And knowing how I'm prone to losing things ... it won't be a wise purchase :D

I'm curious what people really spend in North America? In Europe it is not a practice at all - it is mainly the wedding bands, and they are usually super simple.

$17,372.

I'd much prefer getting new fancy high-end appliances lol

• Like 1

Per the quiz I am worth $23750. My ring was about $12k total. Most of that is the diamond---a rock-bottom one-carat diamond is at least $5k. I have a platinum band with intricate details and a lot of accent diamonds on the sides so that adds to the cost. A co-worker of mine popped the question with a gold band that was all of $400 and a $26k diamond.

What's "normal" to spend just depends on your man's salary, where you live and what makes sense for you both. The average cost of a ring purchased in my zip code is $8k. Expensive doesn't always mean better. I have seen some stunning rings that were maybe a thousand bucks, and some hideous things that cost more than a Cadillac. But some choices are better than others. If you're on Pinterest you will see tons of women cooing over morganite engagement rings. Morganite is beautiful and inexpensive, but the reason it's inexpensive is it's far too soft for regular wear. I would hate to have to buy a new stone every few years.

The biggest issue for me with a fancy ring is how it's changed our interactions with strangers. I don't wear any other jewelry, most days my hair is a mess, and all my clothes are old. Most people don't notice me. But now whenever I go shopping I have salespeople practically suffocating me. The effect is doubled when I go with my fiancé. They look at my ring, they see his hoodie from his job (a tech company in Silicon Valley) and suddenly we are treated like royalty. This has been super weird for us since we're accustomed to being in the background.

I'm with Gaeta; I'd rather have a Thermidor or Viking! Luckily we're getting those too.

Edited by lana-banana
GunslingerRoland

At the time I proposed to my wife, I probably wasn't too far off of the 3 months salary thing. But I couldn't imagine spending 3 months of my current salary on an engagement ring if I was getting married now.

• Like 1

Mine came back more than I paid for my car! I would never want to spend that. The funny thing is I would rather have than something less traditional like my birthstone which happens to be a pretty inexpensive stone.

major_merrick

Here's my view on engagement rings....

1. If a woman DEMANDS an expensive ring, say goodbye. No questions asked. Money will cause your divorce in the future, so save the pain.

2. A diamond is cliche. If the stone is something she likes, then ok, but there's more inventive things out there. Just buying the rock you see on TV is silly.

3. Spending tons of money you don't have on jewelry is ridiculous.

4. Buying a "birthstone ring" or having something designed costs less than buying the shiny thing with the high price in the "Engagement" section of a jewelry store. You get more metal and rock for the money.

A friend of mine did it this way for his wife. He figured out her favorite colors (blue and silver) and got a nice sapphire set in white gold, with diamonds and smaller sapphires surrounding it. I think he paid MAYBE $800, equivalent to two weeks' pay when he was young and not earning much. The ring was small, delicate, and nicely made. She loved it. This, I suspect, is the real point of buying an engagement ring. It is a test to see how well you can surprise your partner with something that fits her taste. The price tag matters so much less if the object is simply pleasing.

***I wonder if the same "rules" apply to lesbians? LOL. My pricetag if I was to get a ring for my GF#1 is the same as a new car. Might as well get the car and put a cheaper ring inside at that point.:laugh:

Edited by major_merrick
  • Like 2

Hahaha :lmao:

Well apparently I am fairly worthless. Who cares about earning 6 figures, wild cat in bed and good cook :p

I also played as if I was buying the ring for him - he apparently is worth slightly more, despite being a lousy cook - guess my higher income and education level means I should pony up the extra $80

We got $406 vs. $488 :laugh:

As for my actual rings - we picked out the settings (and ah, payed a bit more than recommended here!), and were very lucky to be bequeathed a beautiful Asscher cut stone from his aunt.

Wow. I'm worth almost 15K.

I hate the three month salary rule because it is just a marketing ploy by DeBeers. My ring set cost less than $2500. I love it and I receive many compliments.

A man should spend a reasonable amount based on his income. I'd say $1000-$5000 is a good guideline.

• Like 1

I bought my own diamond ring one year for a birthday present. A lovely antique cluster ring. It only cost $3k, but I get compliments on it wherever I go. :love:

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...