I think postponement :(

sweetcheeks00

sweetcheeks00

We were planning a very intimate wedding for April of next year, we hadn't told too many people as it was going to be simple and intimate. Now his son has just announced that he proposed and they're getting married next summer. I'm happy for them, but at the same time a little upset, we may be postponing our wedding now :( Am I wrong in feeling upset?

Piffle.

Your wedding was going to be small and intimate anyway. How would it take away from his son's wedding?

• Like 1
  • Author
sweetcheeks00

because my honey has a very huge heart and he will feel like he is taking something from his son, just the way he is and why I love him

Maybe you could ask your honey to talk with his son and see if something can't be worked out. Or you could have a double wedding :p

Can you coordinate weekends? Say one couple sets a date in early Summer. The other later on. Let the son have the earlier date if he wants it. Done and done.

Important follow-up question: will the majority of the guests be travelling by air to come? This can be a big consideration if they will be coming to both weddings... otherwise, there's not much reason to delay your ceremony more than a few weeks IMO.

because my honey has a very huge heart and he will feel like he is taking something from his son, just the way he is and why I love him

Have you ASKED the son if he feels a small intimate wedding several weeks before his would be a detraction in any way?

You never know until you ASK and assuming something makes an "ASS" out of "U" and "ME."

• Like 3

You are speculating & assuming the worst. Talk to your FI. If yours is small & the son's is the big grand event, you won't be taking anything away from the son.

It's a wedding DAY not a year. The son & his FI get one day not all of 2016.

Find out what your FI wants to do before you make yourself crazy because you think you know he wants to postpone when he has never said that.

Also if the son's is big enough perhaps pushing their wedding to 2017 would give everybody more time to save for the expensive day.

• 2 weeks later...

If it was in the same week, i understand. But your honey doesn't want to get married in the same YEAR?

My experience about people that are way way over sensitive, that they think of themselves as sensitive to the slightest human suffering, but it's only partial truth, because while their focus is to some areas, they are sealed to human feeling on other issues.

Edited by lolablue17