Illegal girlfriend pushing for marriage

Ok, so I am not getting married, but this is a related case.

I am 34 years old and my girlfriend is 31.

Me and my girlfriend have been dating for about 1 year and a half. We met on an dating site and right away she told me her situation and her plans if things worked out between us. She was international student and her plans were to get married in a year if she found the right partner. She is a pharmacist n her country with many years of experience, and told me that she did not really need to study here, and if she got the visa she could start working in her field right away. She only came to study and improve her English.

Things went well, but a bit too fast for my taste. She introduced me to all her family overseas via Facetime during the second week of dating, and her parents seemed a bit over nice during the talk. However, I trusted her. 3 months later I brought her over to my family and they liked her a lot, in fact they fell in love with her personality.

1 month later after meeting my family she asked that because my family liked her a lot and we were getting along pretty well if we should start planning for signing the marriage paper at the end of the year. I told her that we should wait for that and take one day at a time since we still had 6-7 months to think about it. However, she kept asking me at later days for the plan. Even her father wanted to talk to me via Facetime in regards tot he same issue and wanted to hear my opinion and plan with his daughter. That was very odd. However, I felt a bit compassionate and tried to understand her situation and I made the mistake to mention this in a conversation to my family and obviously they switched into suspicious mode, suspecting that she wanted to use me for papers. I also agreed to their opinion, but I wanted to keep getting to know her. They liked her a lot before that, even celebrated her birthday, and made many surprises for her. Now they feel betrayed and used.

Things between her and my family were very shaky after that. My sister and mom live with me because my mom separate from dad and my sister cannot afford to live on her own, so I am basically their support pillar, since I make a modest amount of money.

They cannot see my girlfriend, or hear her name. Leave alone that she can come and visit the house. All they want me to do is end this relationship ever since.

My girlfriend is not a super model, but she is super sweet, church girl, very polite, smart, she treats me well and I feel that she is genuine.

Fast forward almost 1 year, things have gotten worse between my family and her, my girlfriend now dropped out from college, meaning that she is staying now illegal and no more student visa. Our relationship is about the same, she is the same sweet person who wants to see me all the time and makes efforts to show her love to me, and in summary she is the girlfriend every man would want...She takes care of me as much as is possible to her.... However, all this year she has been asking the same question about marriage, and now to the point that she is saying that since now she is illegal she has to leave next month if I do not make a decision to marry her and petition her.

She swears that she loves me, and she wants a family with me. She has even asked me that in the near future she wants a baby and build her family with me. In fact, I feel that she loves me more than I love her sometimes. She wants to spend every single day with me, and talk to me all the time.

I know I am old enough to make a decision and I have decided that if she loved me she could wait or try to fix it with my family, but none of that has happened. She has said that there is nothing she needs to fix with them and that I need to make the marrying decision now or never. That would involve for me to marry her, maybe breaking the bonds with my family for a very long time, and betraying them for her.

My decision has been to not marry her and set her free, because I do not like to be pushed in those kind of decisions, even though I understand her situation I feel that marriage should be an important decision and its not as easy as only signing a paper. However, the other side of me tells me that she is a good girl and she is hard to find and since we get along perfectly well it would be a shame to lose her and set her free. Almost everyone who meets her falls in love with her personality, and everyone agrees that she seem like a good girl. However, I am the kind of person that do not judge the book by its cover totally.

What do you guys think?

loveweary11

I've seen this happen 1,000 times.

She had entered your life, at least initially, to get her papers.

• Like 8

Break up with her.

She told you from the beginning that she was on a timeline and a deadline. She wasn't kidding. You HOPED she might have been, but she had one thing in mind from the word "GO".

But I do have two questions:

Why did she drop out of college? What is she doing with her time?

• Like 4
I know I am old enough to make a decision and I have decided that if she loved me she could wait or try to fix it with my family, but none of that has happened. She has said that there is nothing she needs to fix with them and that I need to make the marrying decision now or never. That would involve for me to marry her, maybe breaking the bonds with my family for a very long time, and betraying them for her.

You answered your own question. If she truly did love you, she would try to fix things with your family and do all she could to prove she is genuinely in love with you. Even if that meant waiting for you and trying to figure out another way.

She hasn't done that because she doesn't love you. You are her ticket into the country. The more pressure she puts on you, the closer you get to breaking and giving her what she wants.

She could care less that it would fracture your relationship from your family. Anyone who has ever truly loved anyone would never do anything to jeopardize those bonds between their partner and their family.

Cut ties and move on. Anyone who pressures their partner into doing anything they don't won't to do is selfish and manipulative. Two character traits you do NOT want in a partner... no matter how "sweet" they appear to be.

• Like 1
  • Author
Break up with her.

She told you from the beginning that she was on a timeline and a deadline. She wasn't kidding. You HOPED she might have been, but she had one thing in mind from the word "GO".

But I do have two questions:

Why did she drop out of college? What is she doing with her time?

I agree with you in the "I thought she was kidding " you are really on point on what I initially thought. I thought she was just "saying"

She dropped out from college because she and her parents can't afford it financially. Also she fes that she really doesn't need it because she is a pharmacist already back in her country and all she needs is to pass an exam here to gain her license and be able to work.

Tiger Lily

Everyone brings something to a marriage, and most people are hoping to get something in return.

Your GF would be a warm body there to comfort you in the night (is that not something you want :o?). She may also bring financial power to the relationship if she pursues her career. She seems to have a great personality.

In the marriage, you may offer assistance with a visa, and probably many other wonderful traits.

The only question is if your GF's ONLY intention is to marry you and leave you. If you feel like she's in it for the long haul, I wouldn't worry about the fact that visa-assistance is one benefit you offer her. But if you think she's planning to leave you as soon as she has papers, then you might want to walk away.

I agree that you shouldn't feel pressured to make a decision this big. But losing someone special is so sad. Life is short, and you may not run into another girl like her. Many single women in their early thirties are divorced or have children.

My suggestion: Pray about it. Ask God for guidance. He'll reveal to you what His plan is for your life, and won't allow something that is for your harm. Because, even if you pray about it and go through with the marriage, and it turns out poorly...in my opinion it all happened for a reason.

God bless.

• Like 2

Since you like her if she is willing to continue to date you, which you seem to want, that is fine. If she only wants to commit immigration fraud, run. Let her find a sucker.

• Like 1

Me and my girlfriend have been dating for about 1 year and a half. We met on an dating site and right away she told me her situation and her plans if things worked out between us. She was international student and her plans were to get married in a year if she found the right partner. She is a pharmacist n her country with many years of experience, and told me that she did not really need to study here, and if she got the visa she could start working in her field right away. She only came to study and improve her English.

Things went well, but a bit too fast for my taste. She introduced me to all her family overseas via Facetime during the second week of dating, and her parents seemed a bit over nice during the talk. However, I trusted her. 3 months later I brought her over to my family and they liked her a lot, in fact they fell in love with her personality.

1 month later after meeting my family she asked that because my family liked her a lot and we were getting along pretty well if we should start planning for signing the marriage paper at the end of the year. I told her that we should wait for that and take one day at a time since we still had 6-7 months to think about it. However, she kept asking me at later days for the plan. Even her father wanted to talk to me via Facetime in regards tot he same issue and wanted to hear my opinion and plan with his daughter. That was very odd. However, I felt a bit compassionate and tried to understand her situation and I made the mistake to mention this in a conversation to my family and obviously they switched into suspicious mode, suspecting that she wanted to use me for papers. I also agreed to their opinion, but I wanted to keep getting to know her. They liked her a lot before that, even celebrated her birthday, and made many surprises for her. Now they feel betrayed and used.

Things between her and my family were very shaky after that. My sister and mom live with me because my mom separate from dad and my sister cannot afford to live on her own, so I am basically their support pillar, since I make a modest amount of money.

They cannot see my girlfriend, or hear her name. Leave alone that she can come and visit the house. All they want me to do is end this relationship ever since.

My girlfriend is not a super model, but she is super sweet, church girl, very polite, smart, she treats me well and I feel that she is genuine.

Fast forward almost 1 year, things have gotten worse between my family and her, my girlfriend now dropped out from college, meaning that she is staying now illegal and no more student visa. Our relationship is about the same, she is the same sweet person who wants to see me all the time and makes efforts to show her love to me, and in summary she is the girlfriend every man would want...She takes care of me as much as is possible to her.... However, all this year she has been asking the same question about marriage, and now to the point that she is saying that since now she is illegal she has to leave next month if I do not make a decision to marry her and petition her.

She swears that she loves me, and she wants a family with me. She has even asked me that in the near future she wants a baby and build her family with me. In fact, I feel that she loves me more than I love her sometimes. She wants to spend every single day with me, and talk to me all the time.

My decision has been to not marry her and set her free, because I do not like to be pushed in those kind of decisions, even though I understand her situation I feel that marriage should be an important decision and its not as easy as only signing a paper. However, the other side of me tells me that she is a good girl and she is hard to find and since we get along perfectly well it would be a shame to lose her and set her free. Almost everyone who meets her falls in love with her personality, and everyone agrees that she seem like a good girl. However, I am the kind of person that do not judge the book by its cover totally.

What do you guys think?

She told you the deal, straight up. She wanted someone who she was at least compatible with because she is going to have to spend some time with you after the marriage.

What were you thinking getting in this deep and then deciding to treat it like a real relationship? You may have screwed this for her by not listening. These situations actually have real consequences for people, and you should have never agreed if you were going to be so blatantly aloof about it.

My advice: break up with her asap so that maybe she can find someone else before she actually becomes illegal. Take this kind of situation seriously next time, if it happens again.

• Like 2
  • Author
She told you the deal, straight up. She wanted someone who she was at least compatible with because she is going to have to spend some time with you after the marriage.

What were you thinking getting in this deep and then deciding to treat it like a real relationship? You may have screwed this for her by not listening. These situations actually have real consequences for people, and you should have never agreed if you were going to be so blatantly aloof about it.

My advice: break up with her asap so that maybe she can find someone else before she actually becomes illegal. Take this kind of situation seriously next time, if it happens again.

Thank you for your advice. Yes, I also blame myself for this and for putting myself in this complicate situation.

Also, I want to say, it is not only my decision about marriage, but by making a decision to marry her I would be breaking my bonds with my family. They have swear that they will not want anything to do with me if ever I marry her. I know I am old, but this is like choosing between my family or her. They hate her to death.

They also say that she is not good enough for me, etc etc.

Thank you for your advice. Yes, I also blame myself for this and for putting myself in this complicate situation.

Also, I want to say, it is not only my decision about marriage, but by making a decision to marry her I would be breaking my bonds with my family. They have swear that they will not want anything to do with me if ever I marry her. I know I am old, but this is like choosing between my family or her. They hate her to death.

They also say that she is not good enough for me, etc etc.

I get that, but they were bought and sold on a legitimate marriage, and it never would have been. Basically, you got your mother (specifically) excited about grandchildren, and now she knows it was all a hoax. Hindsight is 20/20, but it probably would have been best to sell it for what it was to begin with.

Now that the damage is done, you don't have a choice. So, break it off now and give her options.

ExpatInItaly

The reason she is giving you an ultimatum now is because she really - legally - doesn't have any more time. She will leave your country if you don't marry her. I am an expat too and I get the intricacies and time pressure when the departure date is looming. There really isn't time at this point to continue dating and see where things go.

But for the love of all that is holy:

Do not marry her! You will be jeopardizing your family and you knew from the get-go that she was looking for marriage. She wants papers; thus, she is laying it on extra thick and making it difficult for you to say no to her. You felt everything was rushed because it was. She had a strategy from

Day 1 with you.

I don't know which country you reside in or where she is from, but sponsoring a spouse is no small task in many nations. You will likely be required to prove that is isn't a marriage of convenience, which will cost you in legal fees. You will probably be required to give interviews to Immigration officials for this reason too. They are trained to detect marriage fraud. Ask yourself if you're willing to expose yourself to that process too. It's not usually as simple as getting married and then obtaining residency. Which country do you reside in, OP? Where is your gf from? Consider all of the legalities attached to this and speak to an immigration consultant or lawyer if you want to really know what this entails.

• Like 2
Tiger Lily

:(

The GF told OP her situation on the very first date...a year and a half ago. I don't see her being subversive or hasty. She's been open about her needs, and waited for a long time. Now, the end is here.

OP, if you're not into her, end things. Having a functional relationship with your family is important. But, sometimes family members have unreasonable expectations of a partner. Who cares if your GF needs papers, as long as she is a loving, faithful wife? Why would you lose someone special because maybe your family doesn't understand? You say that you want your GF to "fix things" with your family. Fix what...what did she do against your family? How can she fix things?

I'm not trying to defend your GF. I just feel she's been put in a pretty harsh light for someone you've stayed with for a year and a half. If she were so evil, you'd think you would have left long ago.

• Like 3
vanhalenfan

Your story sounds like mine 11 years ago. Don't make the same mistake I did. I chose to marry, and even had children (twins) right away. It turned into a disaster, even before the children entered the picture. I regret the decision to marry so much...Worst mistake of my life. Please consider this carefully.

im trying to wrap my mind about the title " illegal gf" as if she just busted out of prison or something.

Did she?

all jesting aside... you seem to want to create reasons to pull back... so do it. nothing is written in stone

• Like 1
  • Author
The reason she is giving you an ultimatum now is because she really - legally - doesn't have any more time. She will leave your country if you don't marry her. I am an expat too and I get the intricacies and time pressure when the departure date is looming. There really isn't time at this point to continue dating and see where things go.

Do not marry her! You will be jeopardizing your family and you knew from the get-go that she was looking for marriage. She wants papers; thus, she is laying it on extra thick and making it difficult for you to say no to her. You felt everything was rushed because it was. She had a strategy from

Day 1 with you.

I don't know which country you reside in or where she is from, but sponsoring a spouse is no small task in many nations. You will likely be required to prove that is isn't a marriage of convenience, which will cost you in legal fees. You will probably be required to give interviews to Immigration officials for this reason too. They are trained to detect marriage fraud. Ask yourself if you're willing to expose yourself to that process too. It's not usually as simple as getting married and then obtaining residency. Which country do you reside in, OP? Where is your gf from? Consider all of the legalities attached to this and speak to an immigration consultant or lawyer if you want to really know what this entails.

I agree with you in all your post, and thats exactly how I feel, and yes she is on a timer now because she has to leave and she has said it to me which makes me feel like she wants to try hard to make me say "yes". In fact she makes me feel guilty about this whole situation and makes me feel like I am a horrible bf, and I am not. It is just the whole situation.

The relationship with my family has deteriorated a lot because of this whole relationship and I cannot imagine what would happen if I decide to move forward.

Yes I know the immigration process, we went to a lawyer this week just to see if she had any other options besides marriage, of course she does not. The lawyer explained that it would be hard for us to explain everything through the process because we would live separate even after marriage (Because of my family issue) and he would have to find a way to explain this to the immigration agents, and he said he could not guarantee that they will believe it or not, plus he would try to help to cover the whole marriage because of my family. However, he said that all this process is expensive and there are no guarantees that it will work. He advised to slow down a bit and think this carefully too.

By the way, we live in the US. She is Vietnamese.

• Author

Day 1 with you.

• Author
im trying to wrap my mind about the title " illegal gf" as if she just busted out of prison or something.

Did she?

all jesting aside... you seem to want to create reasons to pull back... so do it. nothing is written in stone

I know it sounds bad but I did not know what to put as a title. :(

• Author
Your story sounds like mine 11 years ago. Don't make the same mistake I did. I chose to marry, and even had children (twins) right away. It turned into a disaster, even before the children entered the picture. I regret the decision to marry so much...Worst mistake of my life. Please consider this carefully.

Thank you for your insight, it really helps to hear from people who have been through similar experiences. This helps a lot.

• Author
:(

The GF told OP her situation on the very first date...a year and a half ago. I don't see her being subversive or hasty. She's been open about her needs, and waited for a long time. Now, the end is here.

OP, if you're not into her, end things. Having a functional relationship with your family is important. But, sometimes family members have unreasonable expectations of a partner. Who cares if your GF needs papers, as long as she is a loving, faithful wife? Why would you lose someone special because maybe your family doesn't understand? You say that you want your GF to "fix things" with your family. Fix what...what did she do against your family? How can she fix things?

I'm not trying to defend your GF. I just feel she's been put in a pretty harsh light for someone you've stayed with for a year and a half. If she were so evil, you'd think you would have left long ago.

When I say about fix things, I mean like at least try to explain her intentions and make them understand her more. However, she does not want to try anything with them. She has big pride.

bubbaganoosh

What do you guys think?

Come on man. Your 34, not 14. You never met this woman in person and talking marriage?

The woman has plans to marry you, bring her whole family over one by one and then your problem gets bigger.

Time to wise up. Your buying as the old saying goes a "Pig in a Poke. Time to start thinking a bit clearer and out this to rest. it's only trouble in a big time way. You don't know this woman from Adam.

• Like 1
  • Author
Come on man. Your 34, not 14. You never met this woman in person and talking marriage?

The woman has plans to marry you, bring her whole family over one by one and then your problem gets bigger.

Time to wise up. Your buying as the old saying goes a "Pig in a Poke. Time to start thinking a bit clearer and out this to rest. it's only trouble in a big time way. You don't know this woman from Adam.

I know her in person, I think you have misunderstood my situation, but I get the rest of your post.

Tiger Lily
Yes I know the immigration process, we went to a lawyer this week just to see if she had any other options besides marriage, of course she does not. The lawyer explained that it would be hard for us to explain everything through the process because we would live separate even after marriage (Because of my family issue) and he would have to find a way to explain this to the immigration agents, and he said he could not guarantee that they will believe it or not, plus he would try to help to cover the whole marriage because of my family. However, he said that all this process is expensive and there are no guarantees that it will work. He advised to slow down a bit and think this carefully too.

It seems you've considered possible fraud at this point...? Why can't you just say goodbye? To me, it would be the honorable thing to do.

Honestly, it seems like you're stringing her along, with no intention on following through with any sort of real commitment. You don't have to commit, but don't give false impressions that you might.

When I say about fix things, I mean like at least try to explain her intentions and make them understand her more. However, she does not want to try anything with them. She has big pride.

To me, it's your family and you probably told them that she "just wants me for my papers", or something to that effect. At the very least, you should be involved in any conversation to the contrary in an attempt to restore the relationship with your GF.

I know her in person, I think you have misunderstood my situation, but I get the rest of your post.

The post you're referring to was based entirely on the presupposition that you'd never even met your GF. How could you "get the rest of the post"? It kinda seems like you're just looking for any statement that goes along with what you already think (confirmation bias).

• Like 2
AGoodFriend

Carl99, if you are uncertain about this, do not let her pressure you. Tell her that you have to think about this and if you decide to marry her, you can sponsor her with a K visa (for foreign fiancees). It will take longer than if you petition her from the States, that is for sure, but it would also give you the piece of mind knowing that she truly loves you and is willing to wait.

Also, having a foreign wife is not all hunky dory. I have a few friends in a similar situation and the cultural differences (how often family visits, holidays, traditions, parties, language barrier) add a lot on top of the normal things couples work through. And also the two families have another level of work to do to be able to get along.

• Like 1
travelbug1996

When she initially told you that she wanted to be married in a year, I'd like to know what you said? You must have to agreed in some sense in order for her to continue dating you for over a year. I can't see you saying "I don't want to be married in a year or two" and her sticking around.

Sounds like you may have led her on now you want to relieve your guilt by getting people here to agree that she's a user. Sounds like you're not telling the whole story. But hey I' could be wrong.

• Like 3