How early did you plan your wedding?

I've been dating a guy for 3 weeks and i'm totally twitterpated.

how early did you start imagining it and did it end up happening???

I've never believed in love at firs sight til this month :love::love::love:

I've been with my boyfriend for six years, and only last week we decided that when we eventually tie the knot, we would probably like to be married outside somewhere beautiful.

That's as far as I've gotten, and don't plan on going any further till we're engaged.

georgia girl

WHOA... slow down! One sure-fire way to ruin a potentially great relationship is to get too far ahead of your partner. Particularly when women do it, it sends men running for cover.

Enjoy the now. Enjoy the thrill of the phone call, the dressing to impress, the "does he, doesn't he" moments. It's a lot of fun and in enjoying those things, you'll actually do some of the hard work of building a relationship but it won't feel like work.

Also, remember that you will be a girlfriend to at least a few, a fiancé for a very short period of time and ultimately, a wife for a lifetime. Enjoy each stage. Believe me, the wedding is fun, the engagement is nice and marriage has been the absolute best thing that's ever happened to me. But, I really focused on enjoying the "now" for the three years that I dated my husband. So, so glad I did that. Those are some of my most precious memories.

3 weeks into this relationship is a sure fire way to destroy it. Even if you got married at a courthouse next week, you would probably be divorced in a year. Get through at least a year with him to determine if you have a meaningful foundation. The younger you are, the longer this process should take.

In grad school about a year in I did start to think about what it would be like to marry the guy I was with. I didn't plan the wedding but I did picture our lives together & how that might work.

I started dreaming about my wedding / the proposal about 2 months before DH asked. I had a sneaking suspicion it was coming. Once we were engaged, it took me 3 days to pick a date and sign a contract for the venue. Most people need a few weeks to compare various venues. You usually have to book about a year in advance because they places fill up. Also some bridal gowns take 8 - 10 months to make after you order them. I got a cash & carry sample sale gown & pulled everything together in about 9 months which is very fast.

If you want a lavish wedding, it's never to early to start saving however. Weddings are very expensive.

Edited by d0nnivain

That's so cute. :love:

With my xH, about 2 months after we met, we started dreaming together about it and making reference to it, and it did happen.

I believe in love at first sight too.

3 weeks is a bit quick to know you wanna be with someone for a long time coming ... and ultimately, the wedding is not the most important thing (of course you know that) its what comes afterwards.

I would encourage you to stick it out a little longer, until the dust basically settles. everything may seem like a bed of roses right now, but you have to first see how he really is in a relationship ... what makes him tick. you can't marry someone unless you know their ugly side, loving them enough to move past their faults. its important to note here that you first need to find out their faults.

I will admit that I knew from the first time I met my boyfriend, that we would be very important to each other, but what solidified these feelings was the person I got to know over the months we had been together. it's been less than a year (8 and a half months) but we know we are going to get married as soon as possible.

i started planning when i was 13. only problem was Who would the groom be?? ohh it was a lovely dream! Then by the time I proposed to my hubby( yup i popped the question!) He and i had tossed all those childhood dreams out the window in favor of a JP , limited family and friends in attendance. Absolutely have zero regrets in who was my real groom or how the ceremony went. just wished I had the skills to listen and be supportive ... that came long after the ink dried on the divorce papers. So when planning for the wedding... plan for growing up ALOT, and working your dreams together.

• 1 month later...
  • Author

haha i was so infatuated when i wrote this post. i've settled down a little bit but i still think this could be it. we kind of skipped the formal dating and went straight to bf/gf since it just felt right.

i of course did not tell him any of this stuff!! as i see it, all relationships either end in staying together forever or breaking up. until i start thinking about the latter it's more fun to imagine the former. i was wondering if skipping all the "does he doesn't he?" stuff is much of an indicator, since we didn't play any games like that.

i still think about it a little, even though the infatuation stage has passed now that he asked me to inspect an ingrown hair on his butt. :laugh:

I've imagined it, it didn't happen.

Don't get too carried away.

I don't believe in love at first sight. I feel that you can feel strongly at first sight, be smitten, have chemistry but that for me is nowhere the same as love, which to me is something that is much deeper and isn't just a weak in the knees, butterflies, heart palpitations kind of feeling.

Focus on actually building your relationship, seeing if you're compatible long term etc. as many of us have felt all head over heels 3 weeks in only for it to wear off or you find irreconcilable differences later on. So yes, be excited, but don't start getting ahead of yourself planning a wedding. The marriage (i.e. the relationship) is more important than the wedding and 3 weeks in you still haven't built much of a solid foundation so it's all just a fantasy in terms of wedding ideas.

Edited by MissBee
  • 2 weeks later...

Three weeks is definitely too early to start making any plans. Just enjoy your time together and see how things progress. I've been married a year and we met a year before that. I started feeling he might be the one after about 4 months, but I just kept that pretty much to myself. Then two months later he popped the question, to my surprise and only then did I start talking and planning.

I've never started planning a wedding...

Honestly, I groan at the thought of having to plan a wedding. I do want to be married someday, but to have a wedding?? Ehh... seems like a lot of hassle and stress and money to put on a big production for something that can be just as special done privately. In fact, I'd view it as far more intimate that way.