My brother is getting married - what should I get him for a gift?

So my brother is finally getting married at the ripe old age of 46. His fiance is around 32 (yea I know, robbing the cradle, :laugh:).

Anyways, he's an eye surgeon and makes very good money. Way more than me.

I don't know much about his fiance since they are living in Chicago and I've only met her once. My bro is real hard to buy for mainly cause he has everything already and what he doesn't have he can rent.

I want to get them something nice that will last a long time.

My budget is $500 to $1,000. What should I get them?

An experience... Are they going on a honeymoon? Maybe a snorkeling excursion or a helicopter ride at their destination...or maybe even a fancy dinner and play tickets to a show in Chicago?

Something from your area ... that is not easy to get ... an item of some kind ... and also your ass over there to spend some time with him before the wedding itself.

PS: What i am curious is how can an upstanding and fine gentleman like him end up with a brother like you ???

I only found out about his existence and i like him more !

• Author
Are they registered anywhere? Pick something off the list.

no registry, the invite says "No boxed gifts" meaning checks only

How horribly tacky. If your brother has already specified that he doesn't want stuff. honor his wishes & give him cash.

• Author
How horribly tacky. If your brother has already specified that he doesn't want stuff. honor his wishes & give him cash.

indeed....

• Like 1

Create a 'treasure hunt' for them, with a ride over the Grand canyon in a helicopter as the cumulative end product/gift.

Have 6 clues: 46 & 32 (ages) = 4 + 6 + 3 + 2 = 15, 1 + 5 = 6.

Have the clues be found with a tiny gift that also acts as a clue... a piece of stone, a bottle of water, a dragonfly (Italians call dragonflies 'Elicottero' - a helicopter) use your imagination....

The final clue will be a suggestion they head out to wherever they need to catch the 'whirlybird, and go on their trip....

whichwayisup
So my brother is finally getting married at the ripe old age of 46. His fiance is around 32 (yea I know, robbing the cradle, :laugh:).

I don't know much about his fiance since they are living in Chicago and I've only met her once. My bro is real hard to buy for mainly cause he has everything already and what he doesn't have he can rent.

is your brother a handy guy? You can get him a gift card from Home Depot (maybe they are doing work in their house, reno's or something?).

Or, pay for a long weekend at a bed and breakfast for them.

Can offer to pay for the photographer who shoots their wedding? Just a few ideas..

A fantastic bottle of wine or champagne or other liquor? Or do a special basket with wine, champagne, liquor, matching crystal glasses, and/ or fancy food type stuff (if they like grilling or cooking - I'm thinking fancy spice rubs, oils, and vinegars, for example, maybe some unique cookbooks).

Hope Shimmers

Are you kidding me!?! Is this what weddings have come to, now? 'Save us the inconvenience of having to take your gift back to the store and just give us money'? And actually have the balls to put that on the invitation? OMG.

Take candid photos at the pre-wedding events of him and his fiancee and have them framed. Make a photo calender for him of photos from his and her childhood or of family members.

In other words, do something that money can't buy - whatever you think would be meaningful to him in that way. I can tell you that those are the things he will remember - not who gave him cash or gift certificates.

Are you kidding me!?! Is this what weddings have come to, now? 'Save us the inconvenience of having to take your gift back to the store and just give us money'? And actually have the balls to put that on the invitation? OMG.

If they are from some parts of the world ... this is actually standard.

Hope Shimmers

He lives in Chicago. That's where I'm from.

whichwayisup

Whatever happened to registering somewhere??!

• Author
is your brother a handy guy?

no, he doesn't know a hammer from a screwdriver but he can remove a nail from an eyeball.

A fantastic bottle of wine or champagne or other liquor? Or do a special basket with wine, champagne, liquor, matching crystal glasses, and/ or fancy food type stuff (if they like grilling or cooking - I'm thinking fancy spice rubs, oils, and vinegars, for example, maybe some unique cookbooks).

they don't drink

I know, its sort of materialistic

All our parents are indian

He lives in Chicago. That's where I'm from.

chicagoland is a big area

Whatever happened to registering somewhere??!

i don't know

• Like 1

If you are really insistent on getting them something, commission an artist to paint their wedding photo. Clearly they won't be able to unwrap this at the wedding but if you hire the artist you can perhaps get some sort of a certificate that you can wrap. Then when they pick their wedding photo or you take a candid you love of them, you give that to the artist & wait. In a while you get a painting. Just don't hire the guy who did Bill Clinton's portrait; too much controversy. :laugh:

OOps...I missed that my first go-round when I suggested an activity on the honeymoon...how about a pet? (not that i'm condoning pets as gifts but perhaps they've been talking about getting one previously??)

Does he love books? I do :-) I'm not religious, nor am I with my H anymore... But one wedding gift I still hold incredibly dear (prominent on my bookshelf) is a leather bound Bible we received from one of my close relatives. The cover is inscribed with our names and wedding date. I still sometimes take it off the shelf; it's such a beautiful book, it smells divine and the inscription is very touching. And whilst I'm not religious, there is a lot in the Bible worth reading.

An alternative favourite for the more stridently non-religious (but still spiritual) would be Gibran's 'The Prophet'. Maybe bookmark the section on marriage.

You could have a calligrapher scribe a meaningful message from you to them both on the inside cover.

Edited by SolG
  • Author
OOps...I missed that my first go-round when I suggested an activity on the honeymoon...how about a pet? (not that i'm condoning pets as gifts but perhaps they've been talking about getting one previously??)

I'm not sure about her allergic situation and my brother literally does not have the time

Does he love books? I do :-) I'm not religious, nor am I with my H anymore... But one wedding gift I still hold incredibly dear (prominent on my bookshelf) is a leather bound Bible we received from one of my close relatives. The cover is inscribed with our names and wedding date. I still sometimes take it off the shelf; it's such a beautiful book, it smells divine and the inscription is very touching. And whilst I'm not religious, there is a lot in the Bible worth reading.

An alternative favourite for the more stridently non-religious (but still spiritual) would be Gibran's 'The Prophet'. Maybe bookmark the section on marriage.

You could have a calligrapher scribe a meaningful message from you to them both on the inside cover.

I'll have to look into some of those ideas.

• Author
This is corny but a fire extinguisher and 3 carbon monoxide detectors.

I know there is a joke in there somewhere

whichwayisup
I know there is a joke in there somewhere

:lmao:v:lmao:

Maybe this is better as a Christmas gift..

melodymatters

In light of the "No boxed gifts" line, I'd go holier than thou and above reproach: I'd donate to the most prestigious International eye charity thingamajig in honor of their marriage ;)

If I had a brother though, I most likely would just ask him. I PERSONALLY don't even believe in registering so...

• Like 1