Would you travel 8 hours for a friend's wedding?

musicalsteve82

evanescentworld

Nope.

Done it.

We had friends we invited for lunch, at a restaurant, for my dad's birthday.

They travelled 3.5 hours in high-summer, in Italy, from Rome to Umbria, just for lunch, then went home again.

Travelling long distances for special occasions is no big deal in some quarters - for others it becomes a task requiring detailed planning with military precision.

Just take a change of clothes and go, for chrissakes.....

• Like 1
GorillaTheater

I drove two days to a friend's wedding. Of course, the fact that I was the Best Man was likely a factor.

• Like 4
Would you? Or is that too far?

It's common that people travel for weddings.

So yes I would, especially if it's a good friend.

However, if I can fly there instead of traveling on the road I'd do that. Or I'd just try to make a road trip of it if I could and would try to head there 2 days or so before the wedding.

• Like 1

Depends on several different things. Such as, how good of friends we are...

whether or not my work schedule would permit it... if I could afford it...

But yes, I would. 8 hours is nothing. I mean, it's a chance to get away somewhere new & fun (hopefully) and it's a party! Free food, free drinks and dancing!! Come on...say no more. lol

• Like 4

Many times. The closest one I've been to was a 2 hr drive. The farthest was an 18 hr flight plus buses and cars. That one ended up taking close to 28 hours of travel to return from.

It has depended on how close I am to the person and how much advance notice I get. I've declined a few.

• Like 1

I think whether or not you travel depends on how close you are with the engaged friend.

If you like this friend and keep in touch with them, then of course go to the wedding. But if you rarely hear from them and your life wouldn't be altered if you didn't attend the wedding, then don't go.

• Like 1

Depends on the friend. If it's a close friend, yes, I definitely would. But then again, I enjoy travel. I think it would be fun. This is coming from someone who drove halfway across the country for cousin-in-law's wedding.

• Like 1

Yes, I've done it.

It has to be a very close friend. I don't feel there is any obligation to travel that far, but I've done it happily.

• Like 3

yes. Some moments and events can become milestones of memories.

Most times in such cases, it makes for a mini holiday . A delightful way to see the happy couple and tour the town or eat the cultural foods.

Now if its in the north pole or someplace with conditions are horrendous, then I'd

say nope.

• Like 1

I went to the USA for a friend's wedding last June :) flew from LDN to New York. A couple of hrs after I landed, got the greyhound overnight to her city in Ohio.

So...20something hrs travel time. She was so happy she nearly cried (I travelled the furthest). Made a holiday out of the rest of the trip when she was going for honeymoon by going to see other places and other friends in the states.

By contrast, when I got back, a family friend had her wedding two days after I returned and I was really complaining then because it was in a very awkward, rural place, with hardly any trains or bus running nearby. And it was maybe. 30miles outside of London...during a working weekday when most of us really had to beg people for cover/time off.

But both weddings were beautiful and both brides were gorgeous and happy. So, as long as they give me enough notice and time to plan, I can do it.

devilish innocent

I'd try to make the trip for anybody as long as they'd invited me to their wedding, and I had enough advanced notice to take a vacation. I don't think most people would though. When I got married we were living about three and a half hours away from the vast majority of our friends and family. We ended up with a very small turnout at the wedding. I was kind of surprised because I thought we were only inviting people we were close to. It was somewhat disappointing. That's a big part of why I'll make an effort to get to anybody else's wedding.

compulsivedancer

I attended college about 9 hours away from where I live now. I drive down there for a friend's wedding, and again for a baby shower. It was a great excuse to see an entire group of friends together in the same place. I am planning to head down there again soon for another wedding of a friend who just got engaged.

8 hours is nothing.

if you were really poor and the travel arrangements were a real hardship, that is another issue.

but 8 hours, cheap car ride...no big deal at all. ROAD TRIP!

Yep, I'd drive 8 hours for a close friend. But my closest gf got married in Vegas and I couldn't make it. The flight alone was $800 at the time she wanted to go plus hotel and money to spend while there. So cost is def a factor for me. I really wanted to be there but I couldn't make it happen.

8hrs of driving or 8 hours of flying?

I have done and would do both again of course if the friend was a close one. Usually when you are invited to a wedding it's because you are close friends though...

8hrs of flying though.. well, would have to see if the cost of that was something I could manage at the time.

• Like 1

Last October, I drove about 11 hours down to Florida for my best friend's sister's wedding. My boyfriend was with me and we've talked about going on a road trip because it was a lot of fun just heading down there.

But I do agree that it depends on the person. A close friend? Absolutely.

I totally disagree that 8 hours is "NOTHING" as some stated.

It's a full day of driving, plus the drive back, plus hotels for a night or two. All for a 3 hour wedding.

I'd go if I was very close friends and could afford it and WANTED to go but I would never, ever expect someone to give up 3 days of their life just for my wedding.

It would really depend on the circumstances whether or not I went. tbh the thought of driving 8 hours there and 8 back sounds miserable in such a short time frame.

I totally disagree that 8 hours is "NOTHING" as some stated.

It's a full day of driving, plus the drive back, plus hotels for a night or two. All for a 3 hour wedding.

I'd go if I was very close friends and could afford it and WANTED to go but I would never, ever expect someone to give up 3 days of their life just for my wedding.

It would really depend on the circumstances whether or not I went. tbh the thought of driving 8 hours there and 8 back sounds miserable in such a short time frame.

3 hours?? What weddings have you been going to? Every one that I've attended has been an all day thing, with the actual wedding plus reception/party.

Anyway, yes, I would. This summer I will be flying for two and a half hours, and then taking a 4h train to go to a friend's wedding.

3 hours?? What weddings have you been going to? Every one that I've attended has been an all day thing, with the actual wedding plus reception/party.

Anyway, yes, I would. This summer I will be flying for two and a half hours, and then taking a 4h train to go to a friend's wedding.

Mine was only 2.5 hours....

Anyways, I would definitely do it for a close friend. I enjoy road trips and travel anywhere I can get it.

If it was an extended relative or just an acquaintance, I would be more iffy on the subject. It would depend on whether or not I had the extra money and time to attend.

evanescentworld

So... where is the OP in all of this then...?

I expect the happy couple are well into their honeymoon by now.... if not expecting their first - ! :D