The reason I proposed, was it right or doomed to fail??

This is why I proposed to on off GF/FWB of 10 years + : I felt that now I was ready for children and that really nobody in my life had ever matched up to her. I felt that it was time to draw a line under all the non committal mess of the past and get together properly. To have a good ending to the years of on-off time wasting. Yes I turned let her go last time, this time I am not going to let her get away, we will get engaged and make a proper effort to be together - proper commitment. Yes we may argue at times and have trouble but within the marriage we will work through it. SO I proposed with ring and all. I expected her to chuck the current BF she was not happy with and say yes. We had been seeing each other for sex really just an affair for 6 months in secret. (I am single)

She said no! Her reasons: she had 1 month ago met a brand new guy that I didn't know about. Although I did wonder why I had not had much contact with her lately. So she has not only said no to my proposal but ended our affair for this new guy. She has also dumped the BF.

If you want to pass judgement on her actions please do but don't let it influence your answer to this question: If she had said yes would it have worked or was it marriage already doomed to fail? Is the idea of marrying to fix a non committal relationship realistic?

My head is not well right now thinking of her with this new guy, the woman I wanted to marry.

Edited by dancehead

If she had said yes would it have worked or was it marriage already doomed to fail? Is the idea of marrying to fix a non committal relationship realistic?

No it wouldn't have worked, and no it wasn't realistic.

From where you were to married, was just too big of a leap.

Edited by Satu

Two other guys involved to compete with...? Nope. She is still looking AND she might have continued to shop around even after you married.

• Like 2
  • Author

I ought to add that 2 years ago she proposed to me and I was not ready. She wanted children like yesterday and I felt like a sperm donor not a boyfriend.

It wasn't meant to be.

You two weren't committed enough to each other, especially on her end.

I'm sorry your plan didn't work but now perhaps you can move to a more fulfilling relationship.

• Like 2
This is why I proposed to on off GF/FWB of 10 years + : I felt that now I was ready for children and that really nobody in my life had ever matched up to her.... SO I proposed with ring and all. I expected her to chuck the current BF she was not happy with and say yes. We had been seeing each other for sex really just an affair for 6 months in secret. (I am single)

You proposed to a girl who you knew was cheating on her bf with you...

Is that really the kind of woman, you could see a long term future with?

Most people propose to a person they are in a committed monogamous relationship with, A relationship that is stable and secure, and one that would make a great environment for raising children in.

You weren't even the bf here, you were the OM.

And to cap it all she was seeing a third man too...

I think you dodged a bullet.

• Like 2
  • Author

Yes Elaine, there is that way of looking at it. I was the OM but a few years ago she proposed to me and we were briefly properly together. Anyhow, she claims this is the first time she has ever cheated, but I can remember when she cheated on the same guy before with me when they were together for the first time! Also she cheated on her guy before that too with me. She is in another world. I had hoped marriage would have changed this behaviour. Maybe it would but I agree with you there was a big risk that it wouldn't have done. Possibly a lucky escape.

Edited by dancehead
I had hoped marriage would have changed this behaviour.

No one ever changes after marriage. They are still the same person. Its the worst sticky plaster ever and causes more pain than if you didn't bother in the first place...

• Like 4

You're lucky she said no.

She could've married you, taken half your stuff then left you for the other guy (s).

Dodged bullet.

Move on.

• Like 1

Good for her for not losing her self-respect and going back to the OP. She was with him for 10 years, proposed to him, got rejected, and eventually moved on. And then the OP couldn't stand seeing her happy with someone else and pulled all stops to get her back.

I don't get the impression that this guy ever meant to marry her. He just did it to get her back and probably would've reverted back as soon as he did.

Personally, I think SHE dodged a bullet.

• Author
Good for her for not losing her self-respect and going back to the OP. She was with him for 10 years, proposed to him, got rejected, and eventually moved on. And then the OP couldn't stand seeing her happy with someone else and pulled all stops to get her back.

I don't get the impression that this guy ever meant to marry her. He just did it to get her back and probably would've reverted back as soon as he did.

Personally, I think SHE dodged a bullet.

Completely wrong. I think you need to re-read my posts.

1. She was not with me for 10 years. We were FWB for 10 years +. That was her idea. On and off with her having other relationships in between that failed but she always came back to me. All I wanted to do was date like normal couples and have a normal relationship, hopefully leading to marriage if it was still going well.

2. A few years ago when her bodyclock had almost ran out, she then decided she wanted a relationship, but before I could even get used to the fact I was now properly with her, all she wanted was a child. She proposed, it did not feel right, too rushed and I was suspicious of her motives. That's why I rejected her proposal. A bit later on we split and she returned to an ex.

3. She was not happy with somebody else at all so bad in fact that she started cheating on him (this old ex).. When I proposed I expected her to dump the guy straight away because things between us were great and the best they had been for years.

What I didn't know is that she had met a brand new guy and already got rid of the ex before I proposed. This happened in the space of a month and this is why I was rejected. She had moved on from him and me, I had no idea.

Now what is your opinion?

Edited by dancehead
  • Author
You're lucky she said no.

She could've married you, taken half your stuff then left you for the other guy (s).

Dodged bullet.

Move on.

I am trying to. She points out that when I rejected her she did not stop speaking to me despite some bad things I said. She won't accept I need to cut ties to move on and thinks I should remain friends with her.

I can't do that

I am trying to. She points out that when I rejected her she did not stop speaking to me despite some bad things I said. She won't accept I need to cut ties to move on and thinks I should remain friends with her.

I can't do that

She efffectively dumped you, so it is easy for her to remain friends, as she is not as emotionally involved as you are.

She is not as hurt over the break up, because she is in control.

Being friends means she still sees you, and it assuages some of her guilt too, "See, I am not really a bad person, we are now just friends".

She may even want to continue the FWB situation.

You are not in control of anything, so cannot cope.

Keep NC, contact just opens and reopens wounds and never gives you a chance to heal.

• Like 1
She won't accept I need to cut ties to move on and thinks I should remain friends with her.

It doesn't matter what she can or can't accept, or what she thinks.

Cut ties. Ignore anything she says.

• Like 1
I expected her to chuck the current BF she was not happy with and say yes. We had been seeing each other for sex really just an affair for 6 months in secret. (I am single)

Just out of interest what on earth made you want to marry a woman who had 2 men on the go at the same time?

• Like 2