Found out I have a thyroid problem

I haven't been able to lose weight in over 6 months post pregnancy. My GP sort of blew me off when I brought it up months ago. Eventually tested me only 6 months after. I was really pissed off. It doesn't help celebrity/ women's mags have "I lost my baby weight in x weeks" a lot. Problem is I'm supposed to be getting married in a couple of months. What to do?

• Author

I asked a family friend who is a pharmacist and he said doctors start off with a low dose, so you don't Lose weight fast. But I've spent over 6 months not being able to fit into my old clothes. I'm angry also for my mother and sister in law, who blew me off. It's easy for my mother in law to say, when she under eats and often starves herself.

Sugarkane, i sense your frustration. Would you perhaps consider a dieticians approach? Not a "diet" per se, yet a modification and implementation of the correct nurishments that ease the thyroid condition and help gain proper balance in regulating weight? I initially had varying diagnosis, and thru changes in foods i've regained a balance to thwart off the increase. Just food for thought as there are other ways other then pharmaceuticals to work with thyroid concerns.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks I hadn't really thought of that. Before having my daughter though I could always eat what I wanted without much consequence. Alrhough ive always excercised. My real problem is Also my MIL and SIL don't know the meaning of "no". I made it very clear how I felt about my weight yet my SIL went ahead and booked everything anyway.

Something else to be aware of:

One's thyroid levels profoundly affects not just weight, but mood.

A friend told me part of her hospital's protocol includes testing psychotic patients for thyroid problems, among other things.

For hyperthyroidism, depression can be one manifestation.

Get your levels checked regularly, and good luck with the wedding.

Edited by cerridwen
  • Like 4
  • Author

Thanks but I also told my SIL and MIL I was unhappy with my weight. Yet my SIL went ahead and paid for everything and booked it all. What do I say? My aunt who is a nurse, was angry when I told her it took 6 months for the doctor to do something about it. It's bad enough to see media with celebrity's bragging about weight loss in mere weeks. Why is this always my luck?

Hope Shimmers

If you truly have a diagnosed thyroid disorder then you need medications, not diets or other nonsense such as that. I am baffled as to why, if you truly have a diagnosed thyroid disorder, that you aren't being treated. Did your physician run thyroid tests and were you told that they were abnormal? If so, what was abnormal?

If you can't get help from your PCP then go to an endocrinologist, pronto. It takes some monitoring to prescribe and manage thyroid medications but most PCPs do it without a referral; thus my confusion.

• Like 4
  • Author
If you truly have a diagnosed thyroid disorder then you need medications, not diets or other nonsense such as that. I am baffled as to why, if you truly have a diagnosed thyroid disorder, that you aren't being treated. Did your physician run thyroid tests and were you told that they were abnormal? If so, what was abnormal?

If you can't get help from your PCP then go to an endocrinologist, pronto. It takes some monitoring to prescribe and manage thyroid medications but most PCPs do it without a referral; thus my confusion.

Yes the GP finally tested me and the results were very abnormal. Now I'm on meds. I was told the weight would fall off me, but that hasn't really happened.

Yes the GP finally tested me and the results were very abnormal. Now I'm on meds. I was told the weight would fall off me, but that hasn't really happened.

How long ago were you put on meds for your thyroid disorder? They aren't instant miracle weight loss agents. It takes time for your body functionality to even go back to normal, let alone lose weight.

That being said, honestly, you need to take some control in all this instead of blaming everyone else. If you want to set your wedding date for later then do that! It's your wedding, not your SIL's. If you want her to sponsor it and thus have no say in the date, then just get your dress altered.

And stop talking/thinking about celebrities. You do realize that 90% of the stuff said about them is overblown or made up or both. Who cares how quickly Magazine X says Celebrity A lost weight?

• Like 4
Hope Shimmers
In fact, specific dietary guidelines can definitely aid in correcting thyroid function.

Yes dietary changes can aid, but only when medications are used with them, which was my main concern.

And yes there are differences in Synthroid and and Armour brand Thyroid and generic thyroid preparations, but that doesn't really matter because the goal is to start one of them and then do careful and frequent monitoring and adjust dose based on that. Then do not switch between the different preparations after starting one of them. They aren't interchangeable. One of the main errors made is that thyroid meds are prescribed but then it is sort of "forgotten about" and monitoring isn't done. It is also not always known by clinicians how to interpret TSH and free T4 and T3 levels so it could very well be that OP isn't on the correct dose because of incorrect or lack of monitoring. It happens a lot. Just a thought.