I'm Getting Married!

I've been with him since October 2008 and I proposed to him about 2 years ago. He's 25 and I turn 25 next month. We didn't tell anyone that I proposed until we knew when we wanted to get married. (didn't want to deal with the constant questions about setting a date) Well we finally decided and we'll be signing the papers on July 25th of this year!

It's been super annoying dealing with family and friends on both sides. We're not having an actual wedding or party or anything. We're just going to the courthouse with our 2 witnesses and walking out husband and wife :D

Both of our families have expressed disappointment that there won't be any kind of celebration for them to come to. Both my fiance and I are introverts and it would just be uncomfortable to have some shin dig that everyone would come to.

• Like 2

Whatever works for you :D

I wish you both every happiness!!

Edited by Silly_Girl
  • Like 2

Happy for you! Going to the courthouse is a very cost effective way to get married. My husband and I eloped; our wedding and honeymoon cost less than $10,000. Our mothers were trying to take over our day so we ran off.

Your family wants to be at your wedding because they love you and your fiance.

My husband and I don't like big crowds, but we also know our families were very hurt when we eloped. My MIL threw a big party for my husband and I on our first anniversary. For our fifth anniversary, my husband and I are renewing our vows in front of my loved ones. It will be very intimate; less than 20 guests.

Perhaps as a compromise, you could have a wedding with very few guests. There are so many bed and breakfasts that offer wedding packages for 10-30 people. I'm only saying these things because I have learned from experience how much of a rift eloping can cause.

• Like 3
  • Author
Happy for you! Going to the courthouse is a very cost effective way to get married. My husband and I eloped; our wedding and honeymoon cost less than $10,000. Our mothers were trying to take over our day so we ran off.

Your family wants to be at your wedding because they love you and your fiance.

My husband and I don't like big crowds, but we also know our families were very hurt when we eloped. My MIL threw a big party for my husband and I on our first anniversary. For our fifth anniversary, my husband and I are renewing our vows in front of my loved ones. It will be very intimate; less than 20 guests.

Perhaps as a compromise, you could have a wedding with very few guests. There are so many bed and breakfasts that offer wedding packages for 10-30 people. I'm only saying these things because I have learned from experience how much of a rift eloping can cause.

I understand what you're saying.

But we're not eloping; everyone knows when we're getting married they just don't have a party to go to. I get that they love us and stuff. I dunno I just don't see my marriage to my fiance having to be a public affair.

And money is an issue with us as well. We don't want to spend any :laugh:

The marriage license and other fees add up to around 150 and that's all I want to spend. We're not having any kind of honeymoon and there won't be any rings exchanged either. We both just see it as a legal thing and not much else. We're not even changing our last names lol. We've been living together for nearly 4 years now so nothing is really going to change in our lives.

I totally get what you're saying though, and if either of us were super close to our families then maybe we'd consider it.

• Like 1