Registering

I love my fiance to death, but during this wedding planning we are on COMPLETELY different pages, on a lot of issues. I've learned to pick and chose my battles. I realize I can't have my way every single time during this process!

Anyways, what I am asking for help with is... we are registering soon. We have been living together for about a year now and before that we each had our own homes for five years prior. So, we have a lot of stuff, BUT a lot of it is "cheaper" stuff. I told him I wanted to register for new dishes, new knife block and so on... He thinks it's completely unreasonable that I want to get rid of "perfectly good things." I have tried to explain to him that this is one time in our lives when we are going to be given new things by our family and friends who love us.

How do I make him kind of understand this is what people do?!?!?!?!!?!?!

There are no rules IMO, especially for 'older' folks who have been living independently for years. My exW and I did a reception without gifts, though a few people still brought something. We had tons of stuff already. Other friends have suggested donations to the person's favorite charity in lieu of gifts. About the only people I recall registering have been the children and grandchildren of friends.

Perhaps talk to fiance and suggest that registering and receiving 'new' from loved ones for your wedding will enable you to donate some quality items to facilitate change and good will for yourselves and others, then do that. Try an approach which appeals to a positive place for him. You know him better than anyone. Good luck and best wishes with your marriage.

• Author

Thanks carhill! I told him we could donate our "old" stuff. He didn't like that idea. I just never expected wedding planning to be so stressful! Thanks again!

You can look at doing a Honeyfund as well and register for things to do on your honeymoon.

We had duplicates of everything so I have no interest in registering for anything else! I am sure there are things you don't have as well, I would register for those things as well.

We are registering for a few things, have a honeyfund and donating to charity. So a wide range. :)