Destination weddings

KraftDinner

Anyone have one?

Where? I'm wondering about options for people who live in N. America. There's obviously Hawaii, Mexico...I'm also wondering about other places that have a white sandy beach.

Any thoughts?

• Author

Hmm...well, anywhere where the seasons don't matter so much, haha. But let's say Spring.

:)

Ok Spring means you will need to data mine rainfall charts. Hurricane season not a concern but why book a venue w rainy Spring.

It's a bit easier within the "destination" to be flexible but that requires you to nail down rain delay into your venue contract.

Lots to consider in your hierarchy of wants. White sandy beach is easy enough, rain free day or couple of hours ~ it's possible.

• Like 1

Vancouver Island, Canada has amazing cliff surrounded beaches. Not tropical.

Belieze. Our friends had a great wedding there and the honeymoon was in the same area.

Destination doesn't have to be out of the country, I don't know where you live but check out Southern California, Oregon and Washington Coast if a beach wedding is what you want. Seasonal, but still worth a check.

• Like 1
  • Author

Wild wolf, how is Belize, price-wise? That's something I was thinking about.

Balzac, ah, that's why you were asking! Got it.

Pick your favorite vacation spot and get married there or get married where you are for cheap and go on a great honeymoon.

I live on a sandy beach in California but am planning a destination wedding to an historic inn in the south.

Neither the fiancé or me care for the tropics!

Honeymoon will probably be something cold and atmospheric like Ireland or Scandivania!:laugh:

Wild wolf, how is Belize, price-wise? That's something I was thinking about.

Balzac, ah, that's why you were asking! Got it.

I went to Belize, and while it was beautiful, not all of it is safe (such as the main land). I vacationed on the island (near San Pedro), and it was very beautiful. However, to get to the island, and to get around is very time-consuming and tiring. Most travel is done by water taxi.

Bermuda is someplace I'd like to have a destination wedding. It's semi-tropical, lush, beautiful beaches and landscapes... and it's safe. I went in 2008 and fell in love with it.

I never asked the price of the wedding or if it was a package. But keep in mind that getting married in a different country effects your marriage licence. You will need to research the logistics on that. And as mentioned before, not all of Belize it safe (like anywhere) so an all inclusive resort would be a good choice.

• Like 1

Belize is cheap. Beautiful, diving is great....but it's quiet. It's the airfare you need to catch a break on. Depending on how many people in your party you might consider The next island over...Cozumel, Mexico. Specifically Costa Del Sol. You can fly direct to Coz or into Cancun, which blows , but is a much cheaper flight and jut a ferry away from the island.

• Like 1

How about Jamaica?

I had a destination wedding, but it was in the same country I live in...too much headache to get it legalized here.

We got married among the autumn leaves on a lake.

• Like 1

We are doing the mountains. It is a state that means something for him and a destination for everyone. :)

So there is Vermont, Colorado, CA, etc that would be lovely!

Ok Spring means you will need to data mine rainfall charts. Hurricane season not a concern but why book a venue w rainy Spring.

It's a bit easier within the "destination" to be flexible but that requires you to nail down rain delay into your venue contract.

Lots to consider in your hierarchy of wants. White sandy beach is easy enough, rain free day or couple of hours ~ it's possible.

Good points. Tahoe is rainy during the spring season. We lucked out that it wasn't raining that day. We usually go up there for our anniversary and it has been rainy a few times.

If you pick the Caribbean, Aruba gets almost no rain. You can get married on the beach without worrying about a back-up plan indoors. You'll have to worry about rain on many of the other islands. Of course, avoid hurricane season!

Do you have other criteria besides white sandy beaches? Every corner of the world boasts white sandy beaches. French Polynesia, Vietnam, the Maldives, South Africa, Greece, Italy, Spain, California,... I've been to friends' beach weddings in all those places. What else is on your list? What constraints do you have? What time of year? With a little more detail, you'll get more directed, helpful feedback.

Glad your relationship is going strong!:)

• Like 2
  • Author
If you pick the Caribbean, Aruba gets almost no rain. You can get married on the beach without worrying about a back-up plan indoors. You'll have to worry about rain on many of the other islands. Of course, avoid hurricane season!

Do you have other criteria besides white sandy beaches? Every corner of the world boasts white sandy beaches. French Polynesia, Vietnam, the Maldives, South Africa, Greece, Italy, Spain, California,... I've been to friends' beach weddings in all those places. What else is on your list? What constraints do you have? What time of year? With a little more detail, you'll get more directed, helpful feedback.

Glad your relationship is going strong!:)

Thanks, cutiepie! :D

Well, I guess cost is a consideration because we both just finished school and are at the bottoms of our respective career ladders (we both just switched...we aren't super-young, haha). Anyway, the time of year hasn't been determined yet so right now it's flexible.

Aruba's an interesting consideration, I'll do some research on that.

Cheap flights. No rain. Beautiful sunsets.

It's great that you're thinking ahead. Try to plan a year in advance at least. Nail down the venue as soon as you have a ballpark timeframe. I've never been married, but I've supported through sufficient episodes of gnashing of teeth and tears to know that venue can often decide everything else, even date!

Destination weddings are a trade-off when it comes to cost. The more expensive travel, the fewer people will plan to show up. At a few hundred dollars a head in food costs to you, it can be quite a cost-saving maneuver to marry in the right spot in paradise. OMG, that sounds so calculating and cynical!:eek:

• Like 1

We also looked at Puerto Rico. Its part of the US, so same marriage laws, etc. and its beautiful! There is definitely rain but a lovely area and many great places to marry. Check it out! :D