Wedding Planner

Did anyone go with a wedding planner? If so, what level of service and did you feel it is/was worth the expense?

I am interviewing planners now and trying to figure out what I want to do. I have a job that requires a significant amount of time and travel so am worried that I will have to be MIA on the wedding planning and feel I need someone who can keep things running smoothly.

Thoughts?

I don't know if you're just looking for responses from people who have used a wedding planner. I, personally, planned my wedding myself. It's one of the most enjoyable aspects about a wedding is getting to plan it and making it personal to your own tastes and ideas. I wouldn't want someone else taking over and putting on their concept of a dream wedding. It makes it more special and unique if you plan it yourself. My daughter-in-law also did all the planning for her recent wedding and put her own unique touches into it, and it turned out beautifully--a one-of-a-kind wedding that was unique. If you really don't have the time to make the arrangements yourself, I would suggest you at least come up with your own ideas and concepts that are unique to you, and then communicate those ideas to a wedding planner and have her make the arrangements based on your ideas. A wedding should be unique and personalized, and that says something about your individual taste and personality. I suggest you plan it, and let the wedding planner figure out how to accomplish your concept and ideas.

I don't know if you're just looking for responses from people who have used a wedding planner. I, personally, planned my wedding myself. It's one of the most enjoyable aspects about a wedding is getting to plan it and making it personal to your own tastes and ideas. I wouldn't want someone else taking over and putting on their concept of a dream wedding. It makes it more special and unique if you plan it yourself. My daughter-in-law also did all the planning for her recent wedding and put her own unique touches into it, and it turned out beautifully--a one-of-a-kind wedding that was unique. If you really don't have the time to make the arrangements yourself, I would suggest you at least come up with your own ideas and concepts that are unique to you, and then communicate those ideas to a wedding planner and have her make the arrangements based on your ideas. A wedding should be unique and personalized, and that says something about your individual taste and personality. I suggest you plan it, and let the wedding planner figure out how to accomplish your concept and ideas.

I think that's what wedding planners do...

You tell them what you want and they bring it to life. They can't make autonomous decisions and do what they want and just hand it to you (although some people don't have a clue and are happy to have a planner plan everything and they just okay it and show up). With a good planner, you meet with them and go through ideas, they may bring up stuff you didn't think of, sometimes it's even better than your own ideas, they know the vendors, know how to get discounts, when things fall through, they often are quick to know what to do about it and to get a plan B, they know where to get other people to put in the labor, and you can very much still do some of the work and add your personalized touches. I'm not married yet, but my brother and his fiance are currently planning their wedding, and she has a planner and I've met with her when she meets with her planner and it is something I'd definitely do. She tells her what she wants and the planner gives her options of venues, caterers, suggestions etc. and my SIL can say yes or no and the planner only does what she has okayed. Every detail is completely her, she's just not the one who has to singlehandedly make all the calls and do everything herself.

Since Got It won't have all this free time to sit around and plan every detail, look up everything, call all the vendors, etc. it is a huuge weight of your shoulder when someone else is handling the logistics...esp someone who has rapport with vendors and all that.I definitely plan to get a planner who is highly recommended and who is focused on making my ideas a reality and who will do what it takes to make me be as hands on as I want. I think those are the qualities you should look for.

Edited by MissBee
  • Author
I think that's what wedding planners do...

You tell them what you want and they bring it to life. They can't make autonomous decisions and do what they want and just hand it to you (although some people don't have a clue and are happy to have a planner plan everything and they just okay it and show up). With a good planner, you meet with them and go through ideas, they may bring up stuff you didn't think of, sometimes it's even better than your own ideas, they know the vendors, know how to get discounts, when things fall through, they often are quick to know what to do about it and to get a plan B, they know where to get other people to put in the labor, and you can very much still do some of the work and add your personalized touches. I'm not married yet, but my brother and his fiance are currently planning their wedding, and she has a planner and I've met with her when she meets with her planner and it is something I'd definitely do. She tells her what she wants and the planner gives her options of venues, caterers, suggestions etc. and my SIL can say yes or no and the planner only does what she has okayed. Every detail is completely her, she's just not the one who has to singlehandedly make all the calls and do everything herself.

Since Got It won't have all this free time to sit around and plan every detail, look up everything, call all the vendors, etc. it is a huuge weight of your shoulder when someone else is handling the logistics...esp someone who has rapport with vendors and all that.I definitely plan to get a planner who is highly recommended and who is focused on making my ideas a reality and who will do what it takes to make me be as hands on as I want. I think those are the qualities you should look for.

Thanks that is exactly it!

A wedding planner, or one I want, is not someone that will make all the decisions and I just show up but someone that has a good network of vendors so I can narrow down looking at the best and can help neg. good pricing due to their network. I am looking for that extra level of small details that a wedding planner would be able to bring to the table. So that the guests walk way having all their needs met and it just being this amazing experience!

I am a type A control freak but I can delegate to the right person. I have ideas and I want someone to help pull them together so it is a classy, FUN, amazing wedding. We are also doing a destination wedding so not be on location makes it a little harder. THen with the job, yeah I just can't devote the number of hours that it needs and I need someone that can think, speak, and act like us to help roll out our dream wedding. :)

Thanks that is exactly it!

A wedding planner, or one I want, is not someone that will make all the decisions and I just show up but someone that has a good network of vendors so I can narrow down looking at the best and can help neg. good pricing due to their network. I am looking for that extra level of small details that a wedding planner would be able to bring to the table. So that the guests walk way having all their needs met and it just being this amazing experience!

I am a type A control freak but I can delegate to the right person. I have ideas and I want someone to help pull them together so it is a classy, FUN, amazing wedding. We are also doing a destination wedding so not be on location makes it a little harder. THen with the job, yeah I just can't devote the number of hours that it needs and I need someone that can think, speak, and act like us to help roll out our dream wedding. :)

I always joke that I'll be a bridezilla because I want what I want, how I want it and on a day like that will be very irritated and irritating if it doesn't happen. When I imagine my wedding, I want something intimate, and I also don't want to be stressed out...I think a planner helps a lot towards the latter end. On the day of, I should be getting ready, thinking happy thoughts and I want to just show up...my planner needs to be the one running around and handling the final details on the actual day. I don't want to be getting ready and also be calling people or running around like a chicken with its head cut off. I was a part of two weddings where I didn't even get to see the ceremony because at the last minute we had to run around getting things for the reception and people were calling the bride's cell every 5 minutes to take care of stuff...it was very irritating. If there was a planner, the planner would be doing that, not the guests or the bride. A good planner will not stress you out unnecessarily, but handle any hicks and won't call your attention to it unless something drastic has happened or needs changing. I need someone with a high level of taste and know-how, who has a good balance between giving me freedom to decide on what I want and how, as well as tweaking my ideas and concepts and making them better than I even imagined.

My aunt had a destination wedding a few years ago, it was gorgeous, she had a wedding concierge. I don't know all the details of how it worked, I just know that there was someone there locally that helped get everything together. I think she had a planner in the States who had a contact on the island the wedding was to be held, and the two worked in concert. I think if it's in another country esp. you definitely want a planner who is accustomed to destination weddings and who has contacts in that other place. It's probably even more essential to get a planner when you're not doing it in your home town/country. Congrats to you, you must be very excited! I hope you find an amazing planner.

Edited by MissBee
  • Author

It looks like we lucked out with a planner that is paired up with another planner where the wedding will be and they partner up to do destination weddings. So we will have the main planner in our area to help design it and the other one will help when we are there with vendor selection, etc. We are finishing vetting them but very excited! They have fantastic reviews of their own accord! :)

I am not a brideszilla but I really want to enjoy the process and not being overly stressed. So far I have been able to knock off items off my to do list super early. Yeah! :)

• 1 month later...

It certainly can be very overwhelming for sure. I would love to help you plan your big day. You sound like you have a pretty clear vision of what you like, but you are not sure how to get it all started & on budget.

I am a certified Wedding Planner with over 10 years of Wedding Planning experience. I believe all weddings are unique & personal, and as such, no two wedding are alike.

I would be happy to discuss further with you & help you with you wedding planning needs. Please visit my site: Wedding Photography Package - Best Wedding Deals in Toronto | Weddeals.ca

• Author

Thank you weddeals but like I said we have our wedding planners now and moving things along. Plus we are in the US and prefer wedding planners that are in the locale of our wedding and ourselves.

Thank you though. :D