what to gift for a wedding

phoenixflyhigh

If they like coffee, consider getting them a Keurig maker. I absolutely love mine.

More expensive than making regular coffee, but tons cheaper than Starbuck's overpriced crap.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
phoenixflyhigh

Hi...

Thank You for your response. We deal in Bog Oak products? How do you feel about gifting something that is more than 5000 years old. It's an exotic and rare wood.

neiljohnson85

A lot of girls now a days don't cook, so I don't know about grapefruit spoons, etc. What about gift certificates? You can get specific ones, like to movies, restaurants, and stores or a kind of limited credit card. My grocery store store.

jennicathomas

Home accents are the usual gifts for wedding, some give away candles, set of plates, utensils while some gives away a bottle of wine or git baskets. Remember wedding could really cost you a lot that;s why some prefers receiving money as a gift

What about gift certificates?

I am one of those that hate getting gift certificates; it shows no thought to the gift or to the person and seems a cop-out way to acknowledge someone's special day. Maybe because I hate shopping myself and end up with a pile of gift certificates that I lose or never use...

For weddings, I have had a standard gift that I have given for years which always seems to be appreciated: I buy a large stock pot and fill it with pantry items to help them get their kitchen underway - spices, soup mixes, sample bottles of oils and vinegars, scone mixesetc. I usually shop at places like Cost Plus Imports/World Market that has lots of smaller-packaged food items. I then tie the whole pot up with a big ribbon and make a "bow" out of wooden spoons and utensils. The pot itself is the package and it always gets great comments from others.

It seems to be different in various parts of the US. Where I am generally a gift from a registry is purchased for a bridal shower. For the wedding itself it is always a monetary gift....unless the couple being married are very wealthy in which case they usually do not have a bridal shower and the wedding gift is then from the registry. I'm in NY.

My most treasured wedding gifts are Art works, but you have to know someone very well to give art.

• Like 1
My most treasured wedding gifts are Art works, but you have to know someone very well to give art.

That is a tough call though - I'm a major art collector and hate being given art that is "not quite my style..."

My sister adores Thomas Kinkaide which I think is hack art. I would never hang his work in my house. I have some artwork that I think it stunning and cost me a pretty penny that my sister hates and wishes I would throw away.

To each his own!

Im lucky enough to have a couple of valuable pieces, but I am no collector. My favorite is a painting I admired at a small gallery ...which a friend bought and gave to me years later as a wedding gift. Another is a piece I admired at a dinner party which the host had done himself! He gave it to me as a wedding gift...looking at it right now. I love the sentiment more than the work, yet it is most dear to me.

An antique serving dish or covered casserole is pretty cool. Something French.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm you could put together some pictures of the bride and groom or something. Or get both their names engraved in something. Just an idea.

RiverRunning

I actually found a book called "The Story of a Lifetime" that I gave to my boyfriend as a wedding gift. It's a collection of 500 questions, etc., for him to fill out throughout his lifetime (it asks questions like, "What were you like as a teenager?" "Can you describe the oldest relative you knew?" "What was hardest about your first year of marriage?", etc.). I'd say buy two (I've seen them going for like $30 on Ebay. I bought a brand new HARDCOVER one that was supposed to be engraved for $65...but they didn't engrave it -_-'), one for the bride and one for the groom.

It could be a wonderful heirloom to pass down to their kids and grandkids, or even their nieces and nephews, especially so if either the bride and groom have a history in history, their family tree, writing, etc.

Other than that, yep, look at the registry.