Tiffany or Cartier ring?

I have a budget of around $10,000 and am currently undecided between a 1 carat Tiffany classic 6-prong setting from T&Co and a 1 carat Cartier 1895 4-prong setting. Both VS1, F color, platinum.

The Tiffany seems more timeless and classic, while the Cartier is a little more stylish. Which ring would make a girl's day more?

Planning to propose later this year... Thanks.

Edited by thom3

Go to a real jeweler and buy a GIA certified loose stone. Then select a platinum setting that looks just like the one at Tiff's. You should be able to do much better than 1 carat with $10K keeping the same grading for color and clarity. Is the turquoise box really worth $4K?

• Author

It's just money. I can also blow $10k on a third of a car that depreciates to nothing in a decade.

I don't think it's possible for a generic Tiffany setting to look "just like Tiff's." I've seen some of the generic Tiffany settings, and they look much coarser, much less elegant and fluid, and just seem to "fit" less well with the diamond.

So back to my original question, Tiffany or Cartier? Blue box or red box? American or French? If money was not an option and the diamond quality is the same, and you have to pick one or the other, which would you pick?

OMG I can think of SOOO many better things to do with $10,000!

Does an engagement ring REALLY have to cost so flippin' much? :confused:

What do you care? :rolleyes:

OP, not sure how to answer this - depends on the girl you're proposing to. Is she more classic or more stylish? You know her, we don't. Good luck! :)

• Author

tfkizzle, she's pretty classy, likes to dress simple and clean, doesn't wear much jewelry except on special occasions. That's also why I'm only interested in getting a 1 carat solitaire, nothing too showy or huge.

We're both in our mid-twenties, dated for 3 years, both in medicine.

Ahhhh. Tiffany's. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, more timelessly romantic than that little blue box. Just seeing one makes my heart go pitter pat.

It's just money. I can also blow $10k on a third of a car that depreciates to nothing in a decade.

I don't think it's possible for a generic Tiffany setting to look "just like Tiff's." I've seen some of the generic Tiffany settings, and they look much coarser, much less elegant and fluid, and just seem to "fit" less well with the diamond.

So back to my original question, Tiffany or Cartier? Blue box or red box? American or French? If money was not an option and the diamond quality is the same, and you have to pick one or the other, which would you pick?

A Tiffany's ring will depreciate just as much because the value is in the name not the merchandise. You can have a handmade platinum setting made that will blow anything Tiffany has out of the water. I spent a liitle over twice what you have to spend and I still refused to knowingly throw my money away.

But back to your original question: the blue pill. Save the red pill for an anniversary watch down the road.

• Author
A Tiffany's ring will depreciate just as much because the value is in the name not the merchandise.

My hope is that I don't have to find out about the resell value of a Tiffany ring. If I don't sell it, then it doesn't depreciate. :lmao:

But back to your original question: the blue pill. Save the red pill for an anniversary watch down the road.

Good point. Cartier Tanks are kind of cool.

what does SHE like? Does she have an aversion to either store?

because if it were MY husband looking at jewelry to give me, the only thing he'd be allowed to sink money into is James Avery silver. Which is about the only stuff I will wear (I don't care for jewelry), it's not pretentious or expensive, and because I prefer Avery silver.

so go with what suits her tastes, not with a name brand or a huge pricetag. Otherwise it's just money pissed away on something she doesn't care for or won't wear.

• Author
what does SHE like? Does she have an aversion to either store?

I highly, highly doubt it. She's not a hippie or anything, just not overly showy either.

so go with what suits her tastes, not with a name brand or a huge pricetag. Otherwise it's just money pissed away on something she doesn't care for or won't wear.

Somehow I don't really think anyone could go wrong with a classic Tiffany or Cartier solitaire, unless he has to go into debt to buy one (which is not the case here for me).

I'm sure she would also be happy with a $100 ring, but that's not the point. I have only one chance to buy an engagement ring, I want to splurge a little, makes me happy too. If a guy could only buy one car in his life with $40k, would he buy a top of the line Hyundai and keep the change? Somehow I don't think so.

From one who has very simple, classic taste, my inclination is to say go for the Tiffany's 6 prong setting. Both rings are beautiful and either would be welcome, but there isn't anything quite like getting that little blue box to complete the special feeling you want to characterize this experience. It will add a wow factor to the moment.

It makes me feel good to hear you are planning to make this a special moment. You should most definitely give yourself permission to splurge and feel good about it. Best wishes to you and your soon-to-be fiance!

I'd go with the Cartier paved solitaire, but if I can't pick that one, I'd go with Cartier.

Carhill has a GREAT scenario.

I love the little blue box (I'm with 2sure on the pitter pat :love:) BUT of the options you have provided, I much prefer the Cartier setting, particularly because it has 4 prongs.

Are you sure she wants something so plain? Have you considered the Tiffany Novo?

dashing daisy

For a round diamond, I prefer 6-prong. Holds the diamond in better, and keeps it actually looking round. In my opinion, 4-prong ends up looking a little squared, and I'm not a big fan of that.

And if you are paying for a brand name, I'd go with Tiffany over Cartier, just because it's SO well advertised for engagements, the "little blue box" is something people dream about. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they are great quality, and probably really take good care of you in the store (they better). Even though I'm not generally a big fan of expensive jewelry/diamonds (beautiful but industry is kind of :mad:), I can appreciate how beautifully designed and made Tiffany jewelry is.

So, that would be my vote. But obviously the most important is what you think she will love/be excited about--and want to wear forever.

Either is fine. Cartier, though, is more high end. More people know what Tiffany is like more people know what Rolex is (and rolex is not high end for watches).

So if she is kind of simple and doesnt know brands then tiffany probably will drive her crazy and she doesnt know what cartier is about. but if she knows her stuff then everyone knows cartier is better. I dont see many girls with cartier fashion rings but lots of cheapie $300 tiffany everywhere.

I say go take a peek at harry winston and if you cant afford their stuff go with cartier.. last case tiffany.

It depends what's her style like. Is she more classy and conservative? or more stylish and edgy?

I would say Cartier (my own personal choice) because I love their style. It's more up to date. But I also know girls love saying "It's Tiffany's".

It's YOUR choice.

I say Cartier. more exclusive, more stylish. 4 prong setting much more modern and clean than a 6 prong.

but either way she'll love it (but I say go with Carhills' suggestion!)