Wedding band for irregular engagement ring?

Hello All!

We have started shopping for wedding bands, and I'm discovering that this is going to be difficult. To make matters worse, I don't know anything about jewelry!

The big problem is that the engagement ring is an irregular shape. There aren't any wedding bands that will match up flush against it. I've tried different shapes of bands (curvy, straight, the ones that "point" downwards, etc). I've tried "enhancers" that the ring clips into. Nothing looks right or feels right. There are too many gaps and holes between the engagement ring and the band. This ring simply was not designed to be worn with a wedding band.

I see in bridal magazines these AMAZING bridal "sets": an engagement ring with a matching wedding band. This is exactly what I'd like to wear. My fiance is fine with getting a set, but we're on a budget ...

My idea was to buy a bridal set without the main diamond, then we could use the diamond from the old ring in the bridal set.

But all of the jewelers we've consulted (large national chains) say that we can't buy only the shank, so we will have to buy the entire set with the extra diamond we don't want and can't afford.

If anyone here works with jewelry, is this experience common? I was surprised to be told that we cannot buy only the shank of the engagement ring. Are locally-owned jewelers more likely to be flexible with this type of sale? I'm a bit nervous about buying from a local store that might go out of business or fail to honor warranties, etc. Are local stores reliable?

And if a bridal set is not possible for us -- what can be done to "fit" an irregular engagement ring with a wedding band? Can all of the gaps and holes be filled in somehow? It would look ugly but at least it would be wearable.

(Lastly, if there are any guys out there who are looking for engagement rings, please consider the plight of finding a matching wedding band :D)

Honestly, I've never had the luxury of going engagement ring or wedding band shopping. With that said, I do agree with the above poster. I've heard that using a family heirloom diamond is a good way to sentimentalize an engagement ring without the added cost of a new center stone, and without fueling the blood diamond market. That makes me think there are plenty of jewelers out there who will do it for you. I'm not surprised the big names won't, and I've always thought I would go to a small local jeweler if I ever get engaged anyway, since I'd like to use my mom's diamond, and since I'm not a huge fan of the corporate beasts, and want to support local business owners. Also, I feel like I've heard of private jewelry insurers, so I guess if you warranty it with a small shop, you take the risk the shop will go under (see how long it's been around, maybe?), and if you take out private insurance on it, you risk that the insurance company will go under. But hopefully there will always be another insurance company to go with. Enjoy your ring search!

• 1 month later...

You should definitely be able to get a custom made ring with the old diamond in it.

Go to a private manufacturing jeweller. There is no reason why you should have to buy anymore diamonds.

Vander

I had the same problem and ended up going to a private jeweller recommended by a friend. He made my wedding ring to match my engagement plus made my husband's ring. We ended up with better quality rings for less money than you would pay in a shop. Ask friends/colleagues if they can recommend any one to you.

The "chains" are not real jewelers. They are merely retailers for mass produced merchandise. Sure, they can sell you anything from A-Z but none of their designs are custom - they are wal-mart for jewelry, regardless of their price range. You need a real jeweler - a craftsman.

The price wont be higher, at least not for the quality. A real jeweler spends his days creating just what you need, a custom piece. Certainly you can provide your own stone - in fact, very often the main stone or engagement ring is an heirloom or purchased seperately.

You are doing it the way it should be done!