engagement

This question was asked before a long time ago, and I think Tony gave the correct length of time...

although I can't clearly remember...something like 1 year 2 months, 8 days, 12 hours?

Personally I think people should be dating for at least a couple of years before they seriously consider tying the knot. It seems exceptionally foolish to take such a drastic step without knowing each other inside and out. I don't see a big problem with announcing an engagement somewhat earlier (say after a year), provided it's a long engagement that still gives them time to fully adjust to each other.

Sometimes when people get re-married after a divorce they go through the process quickly because they have a good idea what they're looking for (or not looking for). Often young people go through the process very quickly too, but that's usually because they're not thinking. :)

how long do you think people should date before they are engaged or married? i know this is two different questions, but what are your thoughts?

Timing is different for everybody. When you feel good about things and it's mutual, then the time is right to take the next step in a relationship.

I agree with Tony. Personally I have one further advice - I believe it to be a good idea to live together before wedding. See if the relationsship works on a everyday level too.

• 1 year later...

It all depends on the person. Every one is different and everyone gets married for different reasons. Some people get married early due to religious reasons and some people wait till they are ready to have kids.

When the timing is right for you, you will know it.

jessicakicksbut

Here's just a few of my personal opinion (s) and observation (s)...here goes:

[color=red]Those aged 16-22: minimum 4 years

Those with strong Christian values: minimum 1 year

Those who believe in living together first: minimum 1 year before moving in, then another year living together before tying the knot.

Those who are divorced: minimum 3 years[/color]

There are just so many things to consider, such as age, values, marital status, culture, lifestyle...even what type of area one lives in (urban/rural/suburban). Can one really put a number on when one should marry without conducting some kind of psychological/scientific study?

It really depends on the couple....and if they have the same goals for the future.

Example: I've been with my boyfriend for almost two years, and I just started living with him a few weeks ago. We plan to get a house together and maybe one day take it further. But right now we just live month to month and see where it takes us. We're fairly young (I'm 23 and he's 25), and don't want to rush things. I have my entire life to get to know him.

I know of so many girls my age that want nothing more that to 'settle down and have kids' and 'start their life'. Personally I want to be physically / emotionally / financially ready before I start a family.

I also believe that marriage is a huge step and some people are just not 'made' for it.