How do you feel about the woman proposing?

Hi all! I've been reading the posts here for a while, but only made my first post today! :) So I guess you could say I'm new.

Got a question for everyone, though, that I'd like a little input on.

My boyfriend and I have been dating for, well, a year come this Sunday. We've been throwing around the subject of marriage and our future for the past several months and have even looked at rings and discussed different rings we each want, discussed the kind of wedding we want, discussed kids, what we want out of the future, etc etc etc.

The thing is, I know he is waiting to propose until after he gets his income tax check to pay for the ring (lol - yeah, we don't have much money...gotta wait for that haha), so I was expecting either Valentines Day or my birthday (in March).

Well, I was thinking that you don't really need a ring for a proposal to take place, right?? It's how you're feeling and what you want to to express that really counts, right? So I was thinking of doing something really cute in a card and ask him to marry me this Sunday on our anniversary.

What does everyone think?

WARNING: Proceed with caution!

You know how for some girls, they dream about their wedding - what it will be like, what they're going to wear, etc? Well, for some guys, the proposal has this sort of significance.

He may be planning something, and for you to beat him to the punch would really demoralize him. Think about buying your loved one an amazing, extravagant gift - only to find out two days before giving it to him that his parents bought the same thing for him, and he's totally stoked about it.

You know him best. Do you think it is important to him for him to propose to you? You may be surprised as well. When it comes to proposals, even the most laid-back, nonchalant guy may have something up his sleeve.

My fiance self-describes himself as having no romantic tendencies, and when he proposed to me, he woke up early, made me a gourmet breakfast-in-bed (complete with mimosas!), and made a speech to me about how he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me. He remembered things I'd mentioned in passing before to make the moment perfect.

So...are you sure this is what he would want?

If so, go for it!

Errrr...I would hold off.

My boyfriend and I have talked about proposals and what not and I have found that he is much more interested in surprising me than I had thought he would be. I figured that the less pressure there was on him to make it perfect the better, but apparently not.

You know he will propose and soon so don't rush it. Let him have his day.

Call me old fashioned but I would hold off, too. I think it is important to have the ring when you propose - it's a symbol of your committment to marriage.

• Author

Thank you for the advice! Having been lurking around the site for a bit, I knew I would get good advice!

See, I have never been this close to marriage before in any of my other relationships, so I didn't think of it in the perspectives you all have given me. My boyfriend is a very old-fashioned man and I do know he would relish in surprising me. I don't want to ruin that for him. I would hate to do something that, in my mind, was cute and spontaneous and end up upsetting him. I was thinking my proposal might just be a cute little preamble to his proposal with the ring.

I'm gonna let this idea go. :) Thank you all for the advice!